Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Chuck is my BO hen. One of the Comets must have called either Chuck or Roger ugly. The Comet has a nasty cut comb and is bleeding pretty good. Just noticed it a few minutes ago.

yikes, Roger is brutal
hide.gif
but ya just in case look for a nail that worked loose or something. Usually I find it cleaning and cut myself before the chickies do
roll.png

Quote: Right 2-BR, 2-BO and 4 Comets. I am pretty sure its fighting on the roost that is causing bloodshed. I noticed a small amount yesterday but last night there was blood splattered everywhere. It was obvious who was bleeding and where it was coming from. They have always fought for position on the roost but never to the point of drawing blood. I need to get home before they roost to observe. Going out this morning before daylight to check the situation again. Actually it happened to one of the Comets I would consider a bully so I wasn't really concerned she got it back from somebody.

Quote: Thanks for the tip. You may be right but whatever is causing it happens when they are on the roost. I have a two feet wide poop board under them that I keep cardboard on to make cleanup easy. That cardboard is where I found all of the blood last night. They only get up there to roost and the blood was fresh and still wet and the bird still bleeding. I have always had some pretty brutal fights at roost time but never drawing that much blood. The roost pole is eight feet long for eight chickens so they don't even use half of it after the fight is over and the dust settles.

Bleeding has stopped. Everybody is trying to get frozen dried blood off of the poop board. One big happy family of mentally disturbed goofballs again. Round three starts at 5:49 PM . Going to try to participate in this one if I get home in time. Have a good day everybody
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Aoxa has posted some pics of her barred EEs. Too cute! Just a couple of pages from the end of the EEs braggers thread. Forgot how she bred them, but you could pm her.

The EE braggers thread!!!

MC, since EEs are not technically a "breed" there is no official standard. Cross your Am with anything! Most people agree that the blue egg gene needs to be present (strongly associated with the pea comb if breeding from Ameraucanas). Personally, I think they should have muffs and beards too, to show the Am ancestry. There are Cream Legbars that are blue layers with a straight comb and no muffs/beards, but would crosses of these be EEs?
idunno.gif
Sounds like a really fun project!

Last edited:
Bleeding has stopped. Everybody is trying to get frozen dried blood off of the poop board. One big happy family of mentally disturbed goofballs again. Round three starts at 5:49 PM . Going to try to participate in this one if I get home in time. Have a good day everybody
yippiechickie.gif

Like scalp wounds on people --- bleeds a lot. And when they shake their head, it sprays all over. People who show game birds cut off the roosters' combs
sickbyc.gif
(it's called dubbing). It was done as part of their fighting heritage to prevent them from bleeding out, and has been incorporated into the SOP for the breed. You probably already know, but watch that the others aren't picking at the wound, or she could wind up with serious problems. (You saw how they love blood. Like a pack of piranhas!)
Class dismissed.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom