Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Quote: Very good information. This guy advertisment says they are heritage breed birds. Both the Delawares and the RIR's. I got the other dozen RIR eggs today as well but they were sold to me as simply RIR and not heritage RIR. They were also much less expensive. Probably not going to use them. No i'm not going to tractor supply to get a "bator". You all have me in enough trouble already. Hen Hotel ...Phase Two. Thanks a lot..
he.gif

Want your opinions. Seller sent me seven of each breed. I have 14 eggs. My goal is to end up with a RIR rooster and some Delaware hens. If she can only handle twelve eggs I might give her seven Delawares and five RIR. Or should I try all fourteen.

You paid for them, set them all.
smile.png
Unless you have a local buyer for the extras. I had a duck that sat 14 eggs (12 hatched) and some of the little farm hens had big broods of at least 12. Go for it!

Not keeping any RIR girls? Have heard very good things about them. Should be able to sell extra chicks fairly easily, but it will be a few weeks before you can tell the sex. If they are good quality, you might be able to sell in trios too.

Go chickies!!
jumpy.gif

PS. You don't want an incubator. . . YET!
big_smile.png
Just wait until you experience the fleeting joy of those tiny little fluffy darlings. Enough to melt your heart! Then we'll see how you feel about it. Very addictive, chickens.

Cheeka, I am hoping the fact that we did not get a Mylee report yesterday means that you had a super-fantasic-ultra-stupendously-fun day. Haha! You are gonna need some rest after her visit!

You paid for them, set them all.
smile.png
Unless you have a local buyer for the extras. I had a duck that sat 14 eggs (12 hatched) and some of the little farm hens had big broods of at least 12. Go for it!

Not keeping any RIR girls? Have heard very good things about them. Should be able to sell extra chicks fairly easily, but it will be a few weeks before you can tell the sex. If they are good quality, you might be able to sell in trios too.

Go chickies!!
jumpy.gif

PS. You don't want an incubator. . . YET!
big_smile.png
Just wait until you experience the fleeting joy of those tiny little fluffy darlings. Enough to melt your heart! Then we'll see how you feel about it. Very addictive, chickens.
OK ......I will give her all of them. She is a big girl so she can probable handle 14 eggs. Just didn't know how many was too many. It will be dark in about a hour and I am going out there to totally make her mad......and hopefully a mommy. I will let you know how it goes when she has them. Thanks again

OK, good luck with the eggs, I hope all goes well tonight. I am super excited because I am in the process of buying hatching eggs....for my incubator .....this is really dumb of me because my husband is already behind on building...but I am super excited.

So my white egg layer is on strike. We have had some fairly odd weather, she is brand new to this, I did change to hay/straw from wood chips as a litter. No one else is on strike, but whatever...I also started letting them out a little during the day. So now with the rainy weather and my lack of outside time I am leaving them in. I also provided them with a little nightlight today because its getting so dark with the storms.

I want some heritage reds...I have a hatchery one and they do look totally different then what I expected after reading up on the real deal. Still she is a pretty funny bird and loves to try to escape. Nothing as bad as Sophia Tommy....that bird is my version of roger....

only three eggs today :(

Thanks Sallysec. Good luck with yours as well. You have been around here a long time. And you have a chicken thats not laying. Do you need to be reminded of the power of PIE?........
yippiechickie.gif

Pulled five eggs and a golf ball out from under Ms broody. Gave her fourteen back. She never even stood up. If I didn't know better I would bet that she no longer has legs. Flattened out all over the nest box. No neck.Just little growls but she does not budge. Got them under her the best I could. Some were not completely covered but she wasn't much help either. She reminded me of one of those people at a protest who just flop down and make the police carry them to jail. Hopefully she will gather them all in before the night turns too cold. Can't figure where all those eggs came from that were under her. Thought they stopped laying after they went broody. And I have not seen her off that nest since she went broody but I know she has to get up now and then.

Back
Top Bottom