Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Pulled five eggs and a golf ball out from under Ms broody. Gave her fourteen back. She never even stood up. If I didn't know better I would bet that she no longer has legs. Flattened out all over the nest box. No neck.Just little growls but she does not budge. Got them under her the best I could. Some were not completely covered but she wasn't much help either. She reminded me of one of those people at a protest who just flop down and make the police carry them to jail. Hopefully she will gather them all in before the night turns too cold. Can't figure where all those eggs came from that were under her. Thought they stopped laying after they went broody. And I have not seen her off that nest since she went broody but I know she has to get up now and then.

Wow! 5 eggs! You may want to check the next day or two that no more unfertilized eggs get added to her hoard. Broken rotten eggs can be very unpleasant.
sickbyc.gif

By the way, there is less worry about an egg getting a bit cold. It's too much heat that kills them. People buy refrigerated fertilized eggs from the grocery store and they still hatch! She'll fuss over them and turn them and rotate them around. Shouldn't be a problem if they get a bit cold tonight.
So tomorrow counts as your first day, and on day 21 you should see some pretty miraculous results!
jumpy.gif

Love your description of the pancake broody. Reminds me of a rebellious toddler that turns jellyfish the moment you try to get him to walk when he doesn't want to (and when mom's hands are full). There was a funny kids book (Knufflebunny) that described it as "going boneless"! I had a cat that could adhere herself to your lap using the same strategy.

Cool crisp morning in Kentucky this morning. 44 degrees. Ms Broody had all of her 14 eggs tucked up under her. No visible eggs. She looked very happy. Smiling. Even winked at me when we made eye contact. So far so good.

Thanks Sallysec. Good luck with yours as well. You have been around here a long time. And you have a chicken thats not laying. Do you need to be reminded of the power of PIE?........
yippiechickie.gif
These girls get at least a container of strawberry tops and whatever vegetable scraps I produce during the day (usually peppers, lettuce, and some apples) My father spoils these girls like you would not believe. I get a phone call every day to ask me how many eggs I get. I have given him two grandchildren....he never called daily to see how they are doing lol. He drops off strawberry tops and produce that is leftover from his bakery every day to me to give the girls. Its rather interesting..the other day he gave them a pecan coffee cake when I wasn't here.
Good Luck with the rough weather expected today.
Wow! 5 eggs! You may want to check the next day or two that no more unfertilized eggs get added to her hoard. Broken rotten eggs can be very unpleasant.
sickbyc.gif

By the way, there is less worry about an egg getting a bit cold. It's too much heat that kills them. People buy refrigerated fertilized eggs from the grocery store and they still hatch! She'll fuss over them and turn them and rotate them around. Shouldn't be a problem if they get a bit cold tonight.
So tomorrow counts as your first day, and on day 21 you should see some pretty miraculous results!
jumpy.gif

Love your description of the pancake broody. Reminds me of a rebellious toddler that turns jellyfish the moment you try to get him to walk when he doesn't want to (and when mom's hands are full). There was a funny kids book (Knufflebunny) that described it as "going boneless"! I had a cat that could adhere herself to your lap using the same strategy.
My husband does this...forget about my toddler lol....

The woman with the incubator gave it to my husband for the price of my cooking.
It is a still air Little Giant. The crappy one from TSC. While I say "crappy" I do know that with practice, people get good hatches. I will give it a try, and try not to get upset when I kill a bunch of poor chicks.
Does anyone think I should take a $40 incubator, add a $40 egg turner (TSC has both on for like $30 for another week), and a $30 fan kit?
Also, someone suggested using an egg carton, and tilting the incubator itself to avoid opening it. Any thoughts?

The woman with the incubator gave it to my husband for the price of my cooking.
It is a still air Little Giant. The crappy one from TSC. While I say "crappy" I do know that with practice, people get good hatches. I will give it a try, and try not to get upset when I kill a bunch of poor chicks.
Does anyone think I should take a $40 incubator, add a $40 egg turner (TSC has both on for like $30 for another week), and a $30 fan kit?
Also, someone suggested using an egg carton, and tilting the incubator itself to avoid opening it. Any thoughts?
MC, i got the LG turner, fan and bater for $107 coops n more on Ebay, but its a 2 day wait.I did buy my 3rd from tsc just a still air for $35 and they work good. Its doing better for my geese and duck eggs at hatch. I use it for a hatcher, the other 2 are my bators. my "chickbator" home made one is my overflow
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom