Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okallthis4eggs, May 25, 2012.

1. Chicklover2246

Chicklover2246 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you all! I am happy to read all these comments describing 'my ladies', lol, really makes me feel better to know my ladies will be laying soon. One is dancing and 2 are now talking up a storm, our wait for the first egg goes on...

2. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    it's coming, another month, month and a half probably at most... probably [​IMG]
    EE's are notorious for being the last to lay

3. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Ooooo.... nice! I want to go sock skating in your kitchen.

I think Silie is the perfect name. [​IMG]

Love the new centerpiece. I like cheeka's idea about the cord going straight up (and decorated). Then there's no cord to trip over.

I think you should give broody BR 6 eggs and 6 eggs for the broodybator. That way it will be a fair test, but she can raise them all.

Haven't tried pickles. Blackberry jam (seedless) is the favorite around here and everything gets stained purple. I remember my mom using paraffin wax to seal the jam because she didn't trust the seals either!

The boys say the pretty ones taste better! [​IMG]

You are not alone. [​IMG] Congrats on your second non-squished egg.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  4. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Lots of good company here waiting it out for eggs. What breed of girls do you have?

5. Sallysec

Sallysec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2012
    New York
    [​IMG] and to the waiting game :) Best Wishes.

OK...I think you will find that Roger will want some of those eggs from Broody, and she will take four and even the score. It will be you vs Broody vs Her

Let the Games Begin :)

I went to the wonderful wedding tonight In Queens at the County Farm Museum...Two Huge chicken coops that I saw...pigs....orchards...it was awesome. They got married in between corn and sunflower fields. The table centerpieces were wood cutting blocks with canning jars filled with sunflowers and loose lemons. Everyone wore boots and jeans ...was a blast.
    The kids didn't want to leave because the dancing and food was so good.

We had seven eggs today. Still the big girls didn't lay. I picked them up kitten food. Cheeka are you giving them dry food that had the 20% protein? I went through three aisles of canned cat food reading the labels and couldn't find anything over 13% even for kittens. I ended up with three big cans like that and a bag of 34% protein dry kitten food. I found one that was 42% but I don't even pay that much for my cats food [​IMG]. It was like $17 for two pounds. Might as well just go buy them some steak at the store .

6. Sallysec

Sallysec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2012
    New York
    [​IMG]

7. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Sullyd, I feel bad too.
    Sallysec, very nice center pieces.
    I just spent an hour trying to get the dog calmed down and settled. He is finally sleeping. I am wide awake.

8. MalMom

MalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    Colorado

[​IMG]

9. Chicklover2246

Apr 15, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I have 2 Golden Sex Links, Henrietta is dancing and rambling, I think she will be first & Harriet. 2 Buff Orpingtons, Sweetheart is kinda dancing & talking (maybe she's just quieter but definitely not as much of a sweetheart as she was, lol) & Scarlet O'Hara. 2 Andalusians, Twinkle Toes is talking, & Charlotte. And 3 Silkies, Angelina, Bernadette & Pearl. I had a 4th Silkie chick but he was a roo, Fluffernutter went to live in someone else's coop but unfortunately he and his 6 new girlfriends were recently taken by the circle of life by a fox :'~( Anyway, anticipation continues to build. Thanks for the well wishes! Maybe I will find an egg today...

10. Chicklover2246

Apr 15, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    You are not alone. I gave one of my chicks away who turned out to be a rooster (a Silkie named Fluffernutter), to someone who offered to take him and put him in with his 6 pullets. A fox got them. He still has 2 turkeys and other chickens that he has had for years. Talk about feeling quilty. He felt horrible. I felt horrible, then I saw a dead fox along the road, still hoping it was the one who got innocent young chickens. I keep repeating (to make me feel better) what my daughter said, "Mother, it is the circle of life. Don't be upset." I will add, a few days later, she was extremely upset when we watched our 2 dogs get a dumb rabbit that got into our fenced backyard. I'm not cold or heartless but couldn't help to think, yes, one less rabbit to eat my plants and reproduce. I did mention it to her afterwards and reminded her, of her reply to me, when she found out about my rooster (about the circle of life). She didn't think it was the same. I said, you're right, the chickens were pets and were where they were supposed to be. The rabbit squeezed through a fence, into a fenced in yard with 2 dogs. You are right, it's not the same, the rabbit didn't have to go in. (In case you're wondering, my daughter is 23)
    I feel for you and understand your feelings. You are not alone. :~)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by