Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

gig.gif

well... then buy a doily when you pick up the craft pearls... you might get lucky and find a camouflage one... either way, put something under that 'bator if you're gonna keep it on that nice table... I'd be havin' a clutch of chicks myself (y'know... like havin' a cow...) about something sitting directly on that nice finished table! (I'm a coaster using person) I did have mounts here when old BH was around, 2 nice full hide mounts on either side of the fireplace, and also I think what was called "European mounts", just the skulls... it suited this country/mountain home well... but, alas... they went the way of old BH, out the door... I could look for some at auctions... add to the ambiance...

gig.gif

well... then buy a doily when you pick up the craft pearls... you might get lucky and find a camouflage one... either way, put something under that 'bator if you're gonna keep it on that nice table... I'd be havin' a clutch of chicks myself (y'know... like havin' a cow...) about something sitting directly on that nice finished table! (I'm a coaster using person) I did have mounts here when old BH was around, 2 nice full hide mounts on either side of the fireplace, and also I think what was called "European mounts", just the skulls... it suited this country/mountain home well... but, alas... they went the way of old BH, out the door... I could look for some at auctions... add to the ambiance...
I'm trying to stick with a chicken theme for this room. Might have a couple Golden Comets mounted by the taxidermist and hang them up in there.

I moved the 3 12 week old pullets tonight. they squawked when I picked them up, but settled down under my chin. I put them directly onto the roost in the store bought coop. had to use my head to prop open the door... but they settled right in and went back to sleep once all 3 were inside. No one has slept in there since I put the roosts up in the dome. Morning should be interesting. at least there is room to get away, Pebble always went back to that roost when the girls got testy. Speaking of Pebble, I will stop and see him and Winnie tomorrow and get some pictures. Winnie started laying a week ago. think I forgot to mention it. Perfect brown egg.

You people are interesting. SullyD, congrats on the first egg. Crushed or not.
I canned for the first time today. Dill pickles. Both slices and spears. It wasn't that hard, but I wish someone would have reminded me about the yellow nails, fingers, sink etc. It came off the counters okay. The utensils (wood, glass and plastic) are still yellow. I am confused since even the Ball brand funnel is stained, I would think it would be resistant. Soon after taking the jars out of the bath, one lid was still moving. By the time I was done, I had one more, and a kinda. Now they are all tight. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to wait to flip out about seals right away, or after the 12 hour cool down. Playing on their site, it said after the 12-24 hour cool down. So, with all lids looking firm now, I am feeling better. I will remove the rings tomorrow, and test the seal to be sure.
The site and instructions say to only store on the shelf one year. I was looking at another site that was talking about meat, and said five years. Is it because meat is pressure canned?

cool MC! I have never canned, so I'm no help... I smoke a lot of food. I know all in all, it's bad for my health, but I really like jerky and smoked fish, and I can't buy flavors I prefer as they aren't GF...

Quote:
goodpost.gif
lau.gif
Chickens make good kitchen decor, a formal dining room would look nice with a pheasant decor... are there any chickens that look like pheasant? Although, with your gold light fixture... Golden Comets might be the right choice...
Are you saying a BR would look good hanging over the kitchen table?.......

You people are interesting. SullyD, congrats on the first egg. Crushed or not.
I canned for the first time today. Dill pickles. Both slices and spears. It wasn't that hard, but I wish someone would have reminded me about the yellow nails, fingers, sink etc. It came off the counters okay. The utensils (wood, glass and plastic) are still yellow. I am confused since even the Ball brand funnel is stained, I would think it would be resistant. Soon after taking the jars out of the bath, one lid was still moving. By the time I was done, I had one more, and a kinda. Now they are all tight. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to wait to flip out about seals right away, or after the 12 hour cool down. Playing on their site, it said after the 12-24 hour cool down. So, with all lids looking firm now, I am feeling better. I will remove the rings tomorrow, and test the seal to be sure.
The site and instructions say to only store on the shelf one year. I was looking at another site that was talking about meat, and said five years. Is it because meat is pressure canned?
I got plenty of jars if you need any. The deer and coons canned mine.
he.gif
Sounds like you got some nice stuff canned up for winter. Make sure the lids seal.

Cheeka, floors look amazing! Makes it hard to move when you do all the changes! But, you're right, some new family is going to love it there!

OK-I bet you could make a new list for the coop-Wall ornaments-Barred Rock.....Post a picture of the mounted deer head, change it out for Rogers...

MC-Thanks, I actually got another one today, not crushed!

I do a bit of canning. Strawberry jam. I do a flip method instead of the hot water bath, it has been perfect for years. It can take up to 24 hours for the lids to suck in. Any that don't go in the fridge for immediate consumption! I have tried the jam after the year and it really loses flavor pretty close to the one year mark. Forget the 2 year mark, gross!

Back
Top Bottom