Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okallthis4eggs, May 25, 2012.

1. okallthis4eggs

okallthis4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    X2....I would leave her where she is at if at all possible. She will handle the move just fine when those chicks hatch

2. lindz8504

lindz8504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    Ok. She is fine where she is since no one else is laying right now anyway. I was justworried about after they hatch someone picking on them.

3. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    She'll probably keep them under her for the first day, but depending on your other chickens and mama's ability to protect the chicks, you may want to move her soon after they hatch. She needs time to teach them to return to her when she calls or if there is danger. After about 2 weeks, the chicks are fast enough to get away from most bullies. [​IMG] Our barnyard flock of old never bothered the new chicks, but they had to be protected from one particular dog for a week or two until feathers started coming in. As long as they were all fuzzy, Buck considered them hors d'oeuvres. Ha! Wonder what he'd have done with a big Silkie? Would have confused his poor doggie brain.

4. lindz8504

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    How long do you think she will stay on the nest after the first one hatches? I didn't think about it when I first left eggs under her, but the eggs are staggered as to the day she started sitting on them. Do I need to try to find an incubator and pull the younger eggs out to finish them? There is about a week between the first egg and the last.

5. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    [​IMG]
    Mylee has a Chia Buddy! a friend in NM gave it to her and she brought it up. it took about 5 days to sprout, and this is another 5 days later... LOL! I had a Chia Pet when I was about 10 (c'mon... everyone in the 70's tried it at least once...) but it was the old ceramic one that you had to soak overnight and spread seeds on and water every day or it would die. this new one is so neat! just soak the whole bulb overnight, stand it up in whatever you want as long as water touches the string that wraps around it... Mylee picks "Chia girl" flowers every day, so funny.

she's a sponge that little girl... she knows the names of all the chickens, she mixes them up sometimes, but I'm amazed... and she knows a lot about their anatomy. she was sitting on the floor of the dome, Wilma in her lap, and she was reciting "comb, earlobes, wattles" and touching those parts, quite gently... Wilma seemed to enjoy the attention, or at least was not bothered by it, she was perfectly able to get up and leave...

Henery is fitting in, I have pics still in the camera of him roosting in the center position, 2 RIR's to one side, 2 D'Uccle on the other. pretty cute. but I set off the big boys near dusk when I went out to check and just had to take pictures... they weren't crowing, but they were clucking up a noisy storm! thankfully, the rest of the flock only made a few clucks of annoyance... but I heard the neighbors flock up the street start up... and the guinea's even further up began screeching... [​IMG]

Chester has also truly settled in, he's such a happy pup. I took the crate out, the gates work - he could hop them easily, but he never does. no accidents, no getting in the trash. he gets so much attention and exercise, he takes himself off to bed every night by 8:30. I've had him for exactly 2 months. He doesn't have any of the behaviors he came with - cowering because he'd been beaten, growling and jumping because he's startled out of sleep, probably anticipating a beating. I can touch him anywhere and take things from his mouth perfectly easily. I hope he completely forgets his old life quickly, seems to be - he tears around in circles with his butt tucked, comes for a hug, tears around some more...[​IMG] Ruby and the cats also adjusted. what a happy nut house. [​IMG]

oh yeah, 8 Eggs today...

6. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    you have sooo much fun going! Sounds like everything is as it should be. I never had a chia ugh time to get one! The bunny was always my favorite.
    I havent let a broody hatch yet, but I am leaving my guineas alone so they can. Quasey is nesting! I plan to let her since jeckyl is gone. She is still mourning, and prissy is harassing her.
    Cant hurt to have an incubator ready.

7. okallthis4eggs

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    I am not a expert but she will continue to try to hatch all of those eggs. I stapled some of that plastic fence around the nest to keep the other birds away when I had that situation. Put them some water and chick starter where they can get to it. That will get you by until everybody is done hatching. It is hard for her to hatch and defend chicks at the same time so a temporary fence (nothing fancy) will help the situation. I have a covered run so each morning I would lock the other chickens outside in the run and let the broody and her chicks have the coop to themselves. Then at night when they were ready to roost and the broody had her chicks tucked under her I would let them back in the coop to roost. They won't bother them during the night. Then let them out first thing in the morning and locked them out again. Then I made raising chicks a snap by building a broody coop and run. No worries now and broody can have it her way all the time.

8. okallthis4eggs

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    does anybody think those chia seeds will grow on RK Broody's back? I might give it a try

9. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    LOL! OK, you are too funny!

10. lindz8504

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    Ok that is hilarious. Although the other chickens may think that she is the PIE.... then you would be in the same situation.
    I am going to work on a temporary way to separate miss broody for a little while to try to give all the eggs a chance to hatch. I am going tomorrow to get the older girls. The man said they hadn't laid I'm about a month but I am hoping that maybe they are molting

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by