Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okallthis4eggs, May 25, 2012.

1. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    I read a lot on the EE thread for sexing the chicks. Someone recently said that a lot of black coming in on the breast (of a bird that is not solid black) always means it's a boy. Based on that, looks like you've got 2 cockerels. Let us know when you find out for sure.

Hope you get some chicks today too!!! [​IMG]

2. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    after yesterday's abysmal egg count, I had intended to sleep til at least 8-8:30 this morning... but no... I woke up before 7, so I just got on with making their breakfast... and I have an answer for the low count (besides molting and Autumn-like weather...) they have switched to morning! I had 10 Eggs collected before 7:20! I had cut the grass, and Mylee and I collected a lot of clippings for everyone. She made a really cushy nest in the store bought coop - the majority of the eggs were in there! no one uses that nest except for Blu and a couple of the younger pullets... must have been a line waiting to get in starting at daybreak!

Mylee got a new bicycle today - it's so cool... pink (of course) with training wheels - she's a pro... we picked out a horn, a bell, a helmet and pads... then at the register, they had pink bubbles and multi-color sidewalk chalk for 50 cents... so why not...the bubbles were like regular bubbles, but the liquid is super dark (read staining) pink. eh...

3. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Mylee would like our new bantam coop. The inside is PINK! [​IMG] That was what was available in the reject mixed paint section at Lowe's. The outside is a pretty greeny-blue or bluey-green. Very Izod, for those of you old enough to remember when pink and green got popular on the preppy scene. Never would have considered painting the inside of a coop, but if mites are going to be an issue around here, painted walls seem less mite friendly.

Hope OK is having a good weekend. I've been waiting for chick updates and more pictures. [​IMG]

Very hot here this weekend, and of course it's when we have a house full of family over for the newly 15 yr old's b-day celebration and now too hot when trying to finish up the coop. At least the paint dries quickly!

One of my girls decided to molt last night. Gold-brown feathers all over under the roosts. It's either the Welsummer or the EE, or maybe both. They have been hanging out together a lot lately. Hmmm..... same color girls. Birds of a feather flock together?

4. okallthis4eggs

okallthis4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    .Pictures won't post.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  5. okallthis4eggs

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    Cannot upload pictures. Roger been messin with my stuff again.

6. lindz8504

lindz8504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    Working on a throw together incubator with a heat lamp, and two pyrex dishes.... What temp do I need to strive for? 95 degrees F?

7. okallthis4eggs

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky

8. okallthis4eggs

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky

9. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    shoot... not just Mylee... W4W... sounds like I would love your bantam coop! pink and green was always one of my favorites, despite the clash with my auburn hair... it reminds me of Easter, and Spring.... and a painted surface is certainly easier to clean that a plain one!

Congrats lindz! that is so cool... I would plan on finding an alternative for hatching the last egg, she won't continue to sit until next week... a couple of day is all you can hope for...

yeah OK, how's the family getting on???

after her nap, we took a 2 mile venture - me and the dogs walking, and Mylee on her fantastic new bike... we went a half a mile up the road and back, then passed the house and went a half a mile down and back. I so envy her "new" legs (vs my old ones...) she has incredible energy - even more since I weaned her off her chocolate milk addiction (she can still have some, just not 40+ ounces a day!), as well as chips and dip... now she drinks juice and lots of water, and when she wants chips and dip, I break out carrots and hummus. we sing while we eat it about having ENerGY! now to break her of her last disgusting habit of eating hot dogs straight out of the package... [​IMG] ...after reading dozens of hot dog labels, I went to a local cattle farm and got real Angus franks, no lips, snouts, ears or grain filler. it still grosses me out to watch her, but at least I know it's real pasture raised food.

anyway, we made a huge dinner for the Cluck Clucks, complete with a few crickets that had hopped in the feed buckets we left outside this morning, and after I emptied my bucket, I turned to see Mylee holding Coral, one of the red EE's - I can't catch Coral to save my life - she only lets me pat her crop... if I move to touch her back, she squawks and takes off... I can inspect her from the roost, but to catch her on the ground is impossible. How? How did she get her? anyway, Mylee handed her to me, she flapped my face and left. so Mylee just walked over and picked her up again. Coral didn't flap in her face. One by one, she picked up most of the flock for a hug goodnight. I was dumbfounded. (still am, and to be honest, a little jealous... but ever so proud)
    scrambled eggs for supper, per Miss M's request, she did all the cooking.[​IMG] and we ended the day with 12 Eggs, although one was cracked so it was given to the nearest few - little Dutch got to partake along with a few big girls. they like him.

PS, during all the time it took me to write all this nonsense, I see lindz's post for the throw-together incubator... so good luck! and OK's troubles with equipment... bummer...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  10. okallthis4eggs

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by