Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okallthis4eggs, May 25, 2012.

1. SullyD

SullyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Southwest, FL
    W4W-I hadn't heard all that about hatching those eggs, but it makes sense. I went online to check my order. Since it was three months ago, I had forgotten what I had ordered. Luckily, I actually ordered a mixed bag of Marans pullets! Yay! I love hatching, but I seem to always end up heavy in the rooster department! This is a much better arrangement! I still have 10 Marans boys I got as day old chicks at the auction that I will need to get rid of. My neighbor down the street ended up with my extra CL roos and he said they were delicious [​IMG]. I could just grow them out a little more this time (they had very little meat on them!), and send them on down to him again! I can't do it for myself yet. I sure the first one that draws blood will be the one that changes it for me! I also got 3 OE at the auction. They are about 5 months old now, hopefully they will be laying soon!

I am still only getting 1 egg every couple of days. I don't know what I am doing wrong, or if it is just too dang hot! It has been consistently in the 90's all summer. They have shade, water, a pool, dry nest boxes with fresh bedding, I fixed the food, I added more greens, I'm stumped! The NH's are 24 weeks, the AM's are 23 weeks and the CL's are 22 weeks. I know the blue egg layers can be a bit slow to mature, but not sure how slow. I am trying to be patient! I guess I should be thankful it is slow for right now, I will end up with 31 layers when all is said and done. I need to start finding a place to sell these eggs! So much for 5 hens [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is 14 chickens out of the 18 that go into this coop at night, (the stoners like to hang out in the basement/dark nest box). I have 3 other roosts, but they want to see if they can all fit on one!

[​IMG]

These are 10 of the 20 black/blue copper Marans I got at auction. They seem to be wondering how the one got out!

2. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    W4W, such a contrast with our weather... it's been upper 60's-70's for me during the day and low 40's at night for a week and a half already... up North of me they've had frost warnings. we usually have our first frost before the end of September. We'll get more near 80 degree weather by the end of the week, and we usually enjoy an Indian Summer in November. It's a drizzly foggy day here too... the neighbors guineas are visitng, so I sent Mylee out with some crackers to feed them, see if she can catch one... she's trying and they are making a racket! eatin' the crackers tho...

10 Eggs so far...

3. lindz8504

lindz8504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    [​IMG]
    Sunday's hatches.

[​IMG]

Hatched this morning.....

[​IMG]
    Hatched this morning.

Clarabelle got off the nest long enough to go eat, and was back on by the time that I had changed everyone's water again. The pip is a little bigger than it was this morning, and you can hear the clicking in the egg. Hopefully we will have another fluffy by dark tonight or at least morning tomorrow! That will leave one egg that was set with hers on a Friday (because I goofed and forgot to mark the last egg under her), and the egg from Amelia that was set the following Wed. On average, the eggs are hatching on day 19-20, and they are hatching in order. Since I goofed up and left the eggs from Monday-Friday under her on the days they were hatched, she is having a staggered hatch, but except for that one time she was off the nest when I went down she is sticking to them! I think maybe I scared her when I took her eggs, then brought them back and she has another baby! [​IMG]

4. lindz8504

lindz8504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    Clarabelle scratched around and broke the shell on one of the eggs!!!!!!! [​IMG]

5. okallthis4eggs

okallthis4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    Congratulations lindz [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. okallthis4eggs

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1 1/2 Weeks

7. okallthis4eggs

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    [​IMG]
    .RK Broody and the chicks. Run is pretty bare from the big knuckleheads
    [​IMG]
    Made this little ramp for the chicks to get in and out of the coop.
    [​IMG]
    .....and of course SHE came running when the camera started flashing

8. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop

9. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    My, what full crops you have there! [​IMG] They look great. Getting so big already. RK Broody looks like she's ready to go back with the others.

10. okallthis4eggs

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by