Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

it's normal for her to peck at them, she needs to get their attention, it's the start of learning that she's the Mother. she shouldn't be pecking them too hard tho'.... if she's letting them eat, all should be just fine. don't take the chicks away. take the egg when she abandons it... she probably will keep the egg for another day. Peach pecked at all the new chicks I've given to her... as for color... I could give Peach a tie dyed chick and she'd take it...

it's normal for her to peck at them, she needs to get their attention, it's the start of learning that she's the Mother.  she shouldn't be pecking them too hard tho'.... if she's letting them eat, all should be just fine.   don't take the chicks away.  take the egg when she abandons it... she probably will keep the egg for another day.  Peach pecked at all the new chicks I've given to her... as for color... I could give Peach a tie dyed chick and she'd take it...

I left them eating earlier and went back down about 15 min later and they were all under her. The marans were in a brooder before so they are a little confused. Lol. Peach sounds like a doll! I am still going to check on them all day just to make sure everyone is living peacefully. Lol. Rogue was trying to crow this morning and flipped the chicks and Clarabelle out! Clarabelle jumped and the chicks scattered! It was quite funny. I would post video but can't figure out how.

Yay for all the fluffy butts! We had some really stellar egg days for about a week and then a nose dive. We got 18+ for a week, then 22+ for several days, then we had a hawk attack (no injuries, just terror) and we have dropped down to 13-14, including the occasional duck egg. This has been going on for over a week...I know the stress from the hawk will cause them to go off their laying cycle, as well as this atrocious heat and humidity (fall weather is supposedly on its way next week, yay) but jiminy...we have at 29 birds at POL (at least 24 that have already started laying...and we only get 13 eggs...bah.

On a brighter note, however....my big NN Red is broody! Well, she has been sitting tight on 8 eggs (2 duck...she's a little sneak thief...she took over the nestbox that the ducks use!) since last Monday, but i haven't been able to get down to see her (pout) due to this stupid cast. My middle son has been doing all my chicken chores and making sure Red is in good shape. He likes to imitate her dinosaur screech...which she makes all the time, I can even hear her from the house! She has a few peek-a-boo eggs, but I think its really due to her being half-naked...they keep popping out in front and around her thigh, but she just shifts, wiggles, and tucks them back in after a few minutes. Hoping to have the cast off tomorrow, but there is a chance that I won't....so....maybe we will have pictures soon!

Love the pics, keep them coming!

Reina

Cheeka her are some chicks for Peach! I couldn't find tie dye

Cheeka her are some chicks for Peach! I couldn't find tie dye

lol.png
Little jelly beans!

Sounds like everything is going great. Since Clarabelle's so good, I wonder if she'll also take the chick from the last egg when the time comes. The urge to be a mama is strong.

RR, hope you get your cast off soon. What happened with your leg/foot? (I forgot. Mind like a steel sieve, you know.
roll.png
)

:lol:     Little jelly beans!

Sounds like everything is going great.  Since Clarabelle's so good, I wonder if she'll also take the chick from the last egg when the time comes.  The urge to be a mama is strong.

RR, hope you get your cast off soon.  What happened with your leg/foot?  (I forgot.  Mind like a steel sieve, you know.  :rolleyes: )

I have the nesting boxes sectioned off from the coop so she just had a small area and it is staying kind of dark. I am guessing the egg will hatch on Tue or Wed. So if I can get her to sit for 5 more days we should be good

Last edited:
Thanks w4w!
Stress fracture and tendonitis. ..stone bruise from walking on a broken road exacerbated by working on my feet on tile/concrete 8-10 hrs a day. its hasn't been fun, not being able to do my normal routine. ..especially chicken chores. At least my family has been great with helping. ..wish that I could say the same for work. Their belief is that "its a walking cast, you can still do everything"...everything includes pulling tires, getting in and out of cars, carrying parts....doc said not suppose to but any of xtra pressure on it....I wonder what she'll say when I get the x-ray tomorrow! ?

Well, me and the younger girls went to the store. FUN FUN
th.gif
...... We got back and Clarabelle has decided to give up the egg. I candled before putting it in the bator. It had a blood ring, so no use! That actually makes me a little less stressed. Now Clarabelle can get on with being a mama hen, and I can quit worrying about that last egg. It is HOT and MUGGY here, and the chicks are wanting no part of being under mama. It is kinda funny because she keeps trying to corral them up under her, and everytime she gets one tucked under two more come out! She is still pecking the maran chicks, but I think it is because they are a little bigger and move a little faster than the bantam chicks. Still going to keep an eye on everyone!

I had a big bag of ice in the chest freezer from when we were going to make ice cream. Well, got home and had too many groceries so the chickens got a bag of ice in their waterers and poured out on the grass. They ran the Great Dane off of it! SO funny!

Well...I am down to my last 2 Houdini pullets...I had a group of 6 pullets and my beta roo that were escape artists. .....my dog got Chimi and Road Runner when he broke his chain...then I had 2 dummy tsc production layers fly over the fence IN to the dog pen...at least Thelma and Louise are smart enough to stay away from that 2 acre area...

Back
Top Bottom