Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okallthis4eggs, May 25, 2012.

1. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    W4W, she thought they were very delicate, tip toed into the house with the carton, then she hammed it up for the camera... the many ... many faces of Mylee
    [​IMG]
    the Why? face in this case "Why my Grammy put her nasty smoke out behind my good bike?"
    [​IMG]
    the Whoa! face, she likes to go really fast!
    [​IMG]
    The Artist and her Horse... such an accomplished young lady... you would never think...
    [​IMG]
    she could be so creepy!

2. chirpingcricket

chirpingcricket Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Fairhope, AL
    Cheeka,
    Oh my goodness, Mylee is so cute, she's almost surreal! Great photos too, good job.;) Chirp

3. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    [​IMG]
    Don your shades! I have Arrived!
    [​IMG]
    babies are getting "big", they're bantams, so... it's all relative...

4. lindz8504

lindz8504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    The chick in the broken shell died. It looked like it tried to push out but couldn't get its head out right.

On a brighter note, Clarabelle has all 7 of the other chicks under her and keeps pushing that other egg under her too. Dont know if she will last another week with it but she isn't ready to give it up yet either.

5. chirpingcricket

chirpingcricket Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Fairhope, AL
    Aww, better I guess that it didn't have to suffer a long time. Yea Clarabelle, :fl

6. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Lindz, I wish I could give you some good advice, but I'm probably the least experienced hatcher on here. [​IMG] I was thinking I would rather have the hen raise the chicks, sooo much easier than having to mess with a brooder, so if that last egg is keeping Clarabelle from her chicks.... On the flip side, if she's not giving up on that last egg, maybe she knows something we don't know. Also, if the shrink wrapped chick makes it, you'll have that one to consider as well, so may be setting up a brooder regardless. Sooo, what to do? Maybe you could confine her with the chicks in a very small area so she can sit that egg without loosing sight of her chicks. She can hatch out the last egg and might also accept the shrinky chick.

Hopefully she won't reject any of them. Some people were posting about broodies that had a definite preference for color in their chicks, rejecting all black or all yellow. These were chicks they hatched too. I don't think this typical, though. Weird, huh?

7. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Haha! Great pics! And you know what goes great with all that ham.... eggs! [​IMG]

8. lindz8504

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC

The shrink wrapped chick died. And I don't know abiyt color msking a diffetence but all the chicks she hatched ate yellow and the new maran chicks are black. She is ok with them tonight but who knows what will happen in the morning.

9. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Oh, sorry to hear that. Poor little chick.

10. lindz8504

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    Ok question. I introduced the 3 Maran chicks last night. She pecked them, but I was finally able to slip them under her. This morning I went down and she pecked them again, but then was letting them eat in amongst her and the chicks she hatched. I am going to keep an eye on them today, but I am not sure if she is going to take them. How long should I give them and when should I take them away and put them in the brooder? I don't want her to hurt them or them get chilled because she won't let them under her. I think if I take the 3 away, I will probably just put them all in the brooder and let her keep the one egg that isn't due to hatch til next week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by