Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okallthis4eggs, May 25, 2012.

1. SullyD

SullyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Southwest, FL
    Hi Lindz-I had one like that as well, well shrink wrapped anyways. You may want to dip your finger in some warm water and moisten the membrane. Make sure the beak is all the way out so it can breathe. With the membrane moistened, the chick has a chance to get out and live. It may not otherwise. I am the type of person to step in and take over if there is a chance for it to live with some human intervention. My chick lived and thrived, but alas it was a roo! Good luck!

2. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Good catch, Lindz! Hope it makes it. [​IMG]

3. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    What did Mylee think of the unusual, exotic WHITE eggs?? [​IMG]

4. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Amazing how something so fragile can still survive. Life is tenacious!

I think that is a perfect name for a rooster. If we ever have another, he will be named Alas.

5. SullyD

SullyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Southwest, FL
    My roo's name was caccitore!

1 person likes this.
  6. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    I will post a recipe later for baked eggs in tomatoes. I can already think of variations. Put diced ham, cheddar, maybe some cream cheese inside the tomato. You can also add peppers and onions.
    Basically, you take some medium tomatoes, cut the top and scoop out some pulp. Drain the tomato if necessary. Brush with olive oil, put some Parmesan inside, break an egg inside, and bake. Like I said, I will type up the recipe later. I found it in the November Redbook magazine.

7. chirpingcricket

chirpingcricket Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Fairhope, AL
    yum!

8. lindz8504

lindz8504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    [​IMG]
    Clarabelle's bantam Buff Cochin chicks and my new BCM's! I am afraid that she isn't going to accept the new chicks though. She is kinda pushing hers to the side too, and focusing on that last egg ( that won't hatch til next week) So, I may end up having to take the chicks and put them in the brooder... UGH. I didn't want to do that, and that is one reason I went ahead and got the BCM chicks. They were hatched on Sunday as well, so they are the same age as the buff cochins. Clarabelle pecked them at first, but I snuck them under her so maybe she will be ok with them in the morning. I have to make sure to go down there early and check on them, and keep an eye out all day tomorrow. I would be half tempted to put them all (including Clarabelle) in a box and bring them up to the house if the Hubby wouldn't have a fit! LOL.

The chick in the broken egg is still doing ok. It hasn't started chirping yet, and I haven't heard anything but it kind of grinding or clicking its beak. I am really afraid that it isn't going to make it.[​IMG] I am still keeping the membrane moist and wrapped up in a damp paper towel. I have been checking on it about every hour or two, but try not to mess too much, and just let it do its thing! Not sure what to do during the night.... I guess I will get up a couple of times to check on it and hope that it is out by morning!

Motorcycle chick those tomatoes sound wonderful! Make sure you post the recipe on here!

9. chirpingcricket

chirpingcricket Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Fairhope, AL

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  10. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    November 2013 Redbook, page 169
    Baked Eggs in Tomatoes
    4 medium tomatoes tops cut off, and cored
    olive oil for brushing
    1/4C fresh flat- leaf parsley, chopped
    1/4 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    Kosher or Sea salt fresh cracked black pepper
    4 medium to large eggs, room temperature (right outa the chicken's tush!)

Heat oven to 350* Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and make 4 "rings" out of foil to seat the tomatoes in.
    Brush top edges and outsides of tomatoes with olive oil. If tomatoes are large or thick, pre-cook for five minutes.
    Sprinkle the insides of the tomatoes with half of the Parmesan and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
    Crack one egg into each tomato. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and parsley.
    Place tomatoes in their car seats ([​IMG]) and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until eggs are cooked to desired consistency.

159 calories 10g fat 9g protein 8g carbs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by