Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

gotta look at it this way OK... when Roger is old, she could very well still be sporadically laying eggs... although, if I were you, I would avoid thinking about being stuck with owning her for that long...

gotta look at it this way OK... when Roger is old, she could very well still be sporadically laying eggs... although, if I were you, I would avoid thinking about being stuck with owning her for that long...

And that wouldn't be any different than what you get now! Just depends on how long SHE can be tolerated! OK... we may have just figured it out! She plans to still be laying when all the others have quit! She is insuring that she will continue to get PIE forEVER!

I think I did the math on HER before. Came out to $7.00 per egg or something like that. How much do you think a taxidermist would charge if I.............decide to keep HER ?

Hi all! Good to hear from everybody. ;-)

Wellllll, chicken math struck again....but this time it was my hubby! I was looking for some chicks to put with Big Red and Chicklet and a local guy said he had a few that were a little over a week old and we went to look at them there were 3 black and 1 blue copper maean chicks that were the same size as, and more feathered than, my 3 week old! This guy has a buuuuunch of great birds, and is working on breeding Russian Orloffs, Black Copper Marans and Barnvelders. Hubyy noticed a trio of white silkies and a lone Cuckoo Maran roo who had lost both his hens to a possum and decided that he wanted them, also. So we came home with 8 and put our names on his list for his spring hatches.

By the time we got home DH decided that he was going to get me an incubator for my bday! He kept saying "I think we need more chickens! "

I'll try to get some good pics tonight.

Hooray for hubby and chicken math! can't wait to see pics!

it's really cold and raining today, too many treats dished out over the afternoon - they did not finish them all! well... Peachy and her babies and the Cochin's did a great job, but I spotted a nice hunk of seeded bread in Peach's nest... Peach laid, so did one of the new brown egg layers... and I collected 8 more for my first double digit day since mid summer!

10 ~ 10 today we laid 10!!!!!!
yesss.gif
Eggs for supper tonight!

Glad that you guys are getting eggs, and YAY on the new chickens Reina!
I am still waiting on these MOOCHERS to start laying!!!! I didn't even get an egg from the candy bar girls today...
tongue.gif
I am averaging one egg from them every other day, which I guess is to be expected since they have only been here a week and a few days. I took two little pumpkins down there and busted them open for them this evening! They ate all the goop out of them, so I put the rest in the coop so they can have something to peck at in the morning til I can get down there to let them out! It was a cold and windy day today, and we are supposed to get down into the 30s tonight and in the morning, with frost warnings! I am so not ready for cold weather! I still have the light hooked up in the coop for the 3 new Marans chicks, and I hope that they do ok and don't get chilled! It would be so much easier if Clarabelle would quit being a biddy and take them! Oh well... hopefully they will huddle together under the light and be alright.
fl.gif

It was snowing HARD here today.
rant.gif
Fortunately, it didn't stick. I am getting ready to go close the doors. I don't wanna, though! It is too ccccccold out there!

My husband's aunt came for eggs today. That is 10 dozen eggs in a week. I had to get some out of the coop to fill her order! I may not agree with keeping a light on to force laying, but I may do it for a month or so. With 30 hens of laying age, 5-8 eggs/day is ridiculous!
Stay warm, everyone!

it's cold here too, but not that cold, drizzly rain... but we'll have our first frost come morning. we've been really lucky, normally we would have had our frost before the end of September. my furnace is acting up too... figures! I've got it running, but it won't turn back on once it's up to temp... no big deal, even for the overnight. my house is well insulated, it will be probably 60 in here in the morning, which is my normal waking temp anyway... I'll get the repairman in tomorrow after work, so it will just be a done deal.

Isis' butt pins are about 2 inches long today - must be darned uncomfortable... can't wait til they open up, she'll be so beautiful...

Back
Top Bottom