Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

wee.gif
Congrats!!
ya.gif
Nothing like finding that first egg!! What are you going to do with it?

Thanks! I'm really excited! In fact I was so excited I gave her a great, big, hug!
hugs.gif
I don't think she was as excited about the hug as I was about the egg.
hu.gif
gig.gif
I don't know what I'll do with it. Probably eat it. Is there something special you're suppose to do with the first egg?

No, nothing special, but I have heard of people blowing them out and saving them. We had a little egg cracking ceremony once we collected enough for everyone and shared a plate of scrambled eggs. Of course I did take egg pictures. Ha! So much joy over a little egg. Can't imagine how I'll react to a future grandchild! It's a long ways off yet. Have to make due with grandchicks for now.

I did this:

The egg was slightly broken on the bottom, so I just made the hole a little bigger and drained it. Seemed like a perfectly normal egg otherwise! :)

Congratulations!

Last edited:
My 22 week old hen, Nibbles, laid her first egg today! I am so excited!
Congratulations! I blew my first egg, still have it, haven't made anything with it yet... but
I did this:

The egg was slightly broken on the bottom, so I just made the hole a little bigger and drained it. Seemed like a perfectly normal egg otherwise! :)

Congratulations!
This is a fabulous idea! I love it... it's giving me ideas for what to do with my first egg... which has been sitting up on the mantle over the fireplace since last September, along with Olive's totally intact top knot of feathers that got torn off in early Spring, and a BR feather that has polka dots rather than stripes. there's one more feather... I've never mentioned having it, or how I came to possess it... but it is a for real, totally genuine Roger feather.

ETA I went to go get those things to take a picture and the polka dot feather is missing.
hmm.png
too high up for Mylee to reach... maybe one of the cats...?

Last edited:
I did this:

Congratulations!

Thanks so much! That is really cool. I am a sentimental person, so part of me would like to do something, but my mom is a hoarder and I'm always afraid I will become one. I've learned to let things go. I mean I don't want to be on tv one day saying it all started with an egg.
lau.gif
So for my own peace of mind I'll probably just eat it.
wink.png

I did this:

Congratulations!

I kinda feel like I cheated on the waiting for eggs since Bertha, Clarabelle and Amelia were laying when I got them. But I am anxious for the GC's to start laying! I may do something special with my first egg from them! I love the lantern!!!!

Hubby got home this evening and we made some modifications to the nesting boxes and made the dividers go all the way up. If they still don't lay in the boxes we may also add a more enclosed front on them.... I didn't want to change too much at once! Time will tell. I have to get up EARLY in the morning so I can get the coop cleaned before we have to leave to go to a family reunion at 11. Maybe I can encourage the girls to at least look at the nesting boxes while I am down there (or at least discourage them from laying in the corner!)

AND MY EGG COUNT FOR TODAY>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3 out of 3!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom