Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

CL-Congrats on the first eggs! I too got my first this week! I got TWO eggs this morning! And the dog didn't eat them this time! If I get two more tomorrow, I can share them with my brother who is visiting. If not, he won't notice the store bought eggs.
wink.png
So both of my NH reds are laying. Can't wait for the Am to lay and the CL's to get some blues in there! The NH eggs are pretty light brown. What shade of brown do the BR's lay?

On another note, I gave up the 4 CL roos yesterday to my friends dad. They thought it was funny to invite me to their cookout! Next year I might attend, but not there yet! They said they were delicious.
sickbyc.gif

It is amazing how peaceful my chicken run is today. One roo and 13 girls! He is going to be tired tonite!

Love the pictures Cheeka, she is such a cutie! I miss my girls when they were that age, well, I miss the good part of when they were that age!

She was so overtired yesterday from the journey and all the adventures, she was up til 10:30 last night! she also spent the entire night on the foot of my bed, curled up with Chester.
lau.gif

They also spent the morning outside in the backyard, Chester on the long run, I took a chance and let the roosters out. Royce came stomping over to Mylee, but she stomped back and made to kick him... off he ran, so Mylee is the Boss of the Applesauce! We spent a few minutes celebrating her Victory stomping around the yard together...then I had to go to work, but she had a great morning, so great she crashed hard for her nap and woke up 3 hours later cheery and ready to roll! Chester got a Peach-load when he dared walk too close to her lilac where she was dust bathing with her babies! I wanted pics of the chicks... but I got some hopefully good ones of Peach all puffed out and kicking. as for the newest bantam Marans, I think I have 2 pullets, 2 cockerels, judging by comb.

Mylee knows what the egg song is too, and every time she hears it, she has to go check, we're up to 9 eggs so far.

CL-Congrats on the first eggs! I too got my first this week! I got TWO eggs this morning! And the dog didn't eat them this time! If I get two more tomorrow, I can share them with my brother who is visiting. If not, he won't notice the store bought eggs.
wink.png
So both of my NH reds are laying. Can't wait for the Am to lay and the CL's to get some blues in there! The NH eggs are pretty light brown. What shade of brown do the BR's lay?

On another note, I gave up the 4 CL roos yesterday to my friends dad. They thought it was funny to invite me to their cookout! Next year I might attend, but not there yet! They said they were delicious.
sickbyc.gif

It is amazing how peaceful my chicken run is today. One roo and 13 girls! He is going to be tired tonite!

Love the pictures Cheeka, she is such a cutie! I miss my girls when they were that age, well, I miss the good part of when they were that age!
BR is a light brown egg.
images

(Not my pic but a reference pic for you)

W4W....Its a funny line here with roosters. When I first decided to get chickens I called the Town and asked. I was told I could have hens but no roosters and that they must have proper shelter. I read in the paper that I could have as many hens as I wanted and no roosters. I had a visit from a town guy one day who said they had a call that I had chickens...I asked if he wanted to come back in the yard and see them..he said no. He said how many do you have? I said 15...he said okay you can have twenty five. I said oh there is a limit on hens? He said twenty five. I said "oh I thought I just couldn't have roosters and that hens are unlimited". He said "no you can have quiet roosters as long as they don't make too much noise to bother the sound ordinance" ..,my husband wanted to know what breed of rooster is quiet....the man didn't answer and just left. He basically talked to us for like fifteen minutes without once going into the back yard to look at the chickens etc. It was the weirdest thing ever. So...do I try and keep a rooster? I am not planning on it because obviously someone complained about hens already. Why start a headache and make enemies? I posted him up on the Free to a good home page. I figure if I give him away when he is so young it might be easier on a family who is willing to take him in. They can hand feed him etc etc. My father plans to eat him if I don't give him away or keep him.

Finally, a perfect egg day! Three chickens, three eggs! Although Peep is pretty sure she needs to lay her egg INSIDE the house.
he.gif

What a pretty selection of eggs there! That is what I am hoping to achieve as well!! So, I have two different blue layers, a light brown, medium brown and chocolate brown, and olive eggers too!

Love the picture of the lioness protecting her cubs from the hyena! (Peach)

I broke down, and tried some of the pickles I canned. They are good. Glad I did theis!
After mowing today, I walked over to the big pen. I looked, and looked again. I have another rooster!
he.gif
I swear it was a hen yesterday! It is a White Rock. I only know it is a rooster because of the flowing tail. Darn it! So now I need to figure out what to do with him. I think the couple that took care of my mean rooster last year would like him. If not for making meat birds, as a meat bird. This is the couple that the guy takes veterans fishing. I know the white feathers are sought after.
8 eggs. Probably due to the mowing.

LOL! The dog is eating pickles. He kinda likes them, but he seems to not know what to do about the salty sour taste.
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom