Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

MC, I use straw, along with leaves and grass clippings, but during the winter, it's primarily straw. I like it. it definitely keeps things warmer and drier. it decomposes well, the top layer gets stiff if you don't dig it out before summer, but the soil underneath is incredible! I waited too long to clean it out last year, but the pitchfork made it easy... it's interesting how different groups do their housekeeping - the dome is nice and kicked around, well mixed. the Fosters have deep sections and bare sections. if I move straw to the bare sections, they clean it up and make the deep sections deeper. the Group of Seven banty boys have a perfect, smooth floor, made of almost a foot of straw, with one tiny open spot for a bath. I just put a big block of straw inside, I put 2 in the Fosters because they have 2 "rooms". they do all the work of spreading and keep it the way they want. as soon as the temps stay above 40° I will start to clean out the dome. the back pens can wait longer, more because the dome is shorter and I can't stand up straight inside when it gets to the end of winter and there are 4-5 extra bales accumulated inside. the back pen is 6' tall with peaked roofs.

Whoops is right on with her description of what I am doing and thinking! I have never felt so impatient in my life.

Mc I am tired just reading that. All I did was stare at my eggs!

Ladies and barred rocks....I looked in the bat or a while back and found a PIP!

wee.gif
a PIP! Just hours to go!!
clap.gif

hay is more likely to mold than straw, although it can happen. generally you will notice it when you cut the bale open... you'll likely see it, but if not... you'll smell it. I have yet to have a problem using it, not even lice which can live inside the straw... I did use one bale last year on the outside as a windbreak, and it got snowed on repeatedly... was nasty in Spring, growing mushrooms even! I hauled it to the burn pile, but I know that some of the flock was kicking at it, probably ate a mushroom or several. no one died.

Welcome! This is my favorite thread. It has it all... pie, poetry, devious chickens, and some of the most wonderful people you'll ever meet. Or type at. (I'm still not quite used to social media.
big_smile.png
) What kind of chickens do you have?

Hi Wishing4Wings, I don't have chickens yet...will be getting my first little flock of 6 first week of May! terribly excited about it all
celebrate.gif

I'm loving BYC although still getting used to social media like you (I'm a bit of a dinosaur I'm afraid!)....just love this thread plus all the other funny and useful stuff on here

mortie, a pip!!! It's gonna happen!
ya.gif

Cheeka, I love the shadow pic. I started using straw in my run (it's covered) after what you said about the nice soil. One more bit of rain maybe on Wed, after which I plan to clean it out. The flies are already horrible this year (and lots of people are having trouble with mites) so I may clean it out earlier just to be safe.

It's black mold you really have to worry about with chickens. Aspergillus gets in their lungs and they just fade away.

vintagegem, are you getting chicks or started pullets in May? What breeds? Any roosters? You will love them, I'm sure of it. It's nice to see a fellow dinosaur online.
big_smile.png

MC, sounds like a lot of work! Hope your toes feel better soon.

Clindz, I'm thinking it's about time for an updated Rawley pic.
pop.gif
Is he bigger?

Scrambles, do you have any breeds that are known to go broody? One of my Ameraucanas gets really broody, and the breeder says that most of the birds from that particular line do too. She's too big to set Seramas, so I've been trying to think what kind of eggs if I let her hatch out this year. Maybe Marans? or good Welsummers? I want a different color egg. (Presuming I get any girls!)

Howzit going Whoops?!
frow.gif

mortie, go get some sleep silly... you will still get to witness others in there hatching. although...
caf.gif
we want pics...

CLindz, Rawley is
love.gif
too cute... must
hugs.gif
give him a squeeze for me!

Vintagegem, do you know what breeds of
D.gif
you are getting??? are you starting from day old
jumpy.gif
's ???