Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

The part of Wyoming I am from is not really flat and the northern western part certainly isn't but a lot of it is, as you say. I wasn't suggesting you should move there :p . Where I live now is really flat but you can't see it because all the trees are in the way lol.

Lindz I feel ya on the whole can't believe I have been married this long thing. I have been married b early half my life lol. When someone asks me how long I have been married I am actually little surprised myself when I answer 13 years this year lol.

What we woke up to this morning!
barnie.gif

The three or so inches we were expecting here has turned into 38* today, and 17* tonight with less than an inch. Not as bitter cold as it has been, but I do wish they would stop changing the forecast!
barnie.gif
It was supposed to be 48-52 Thursday-Saturday, then in the 60's. Now we have one day of 60.
At least they are saying it will be 50-52 up until next Thursday. I must remove a wall from the coop, and get that cleaned out (I am guessing five or six bags of pine chips
th.gif
) No idea where I am putting all that bedding. I am also thinking I should start hoeing the garden. Lots of grass in there!

Snowed again last night here too. I'm over it. It's supposed to get up to 40 or so thursday so I hope to get to work on the coop then.

Today I took 3 chicks to my son's class to show them. I took chicks I suspect are males just in case they didn't tolerate it well (it is dang cold) but they did great. I had them in a printer paper box with no outside heat source - you guys know those hand warmers consume oxygen in the chemical reaction that puts out the heat, right? I didn't have anything else that would work so I just had it uncomfortably warm (for me) in the car and most of the time they were in their box with the top on. They didn't seem chilled at all. Had with home again within a half hour or so and they happily went back to eating, drinking, pooping, and sleeping. Mission accomplished. They're 9 days old today!

No eggs today.
jumpy.gif
Had to buy another dozen.
D.gif

One of the chicks is really mean to any of the other chicks if they get up on the perch. I even saw her pull a feather out. NOT COOL. I told her that I have a pair of garden shears with her name on them if she keeps that up. She doesn't do it when they're on the ground (that I have seen) just when she is on the ground and they are on the perch. This perch is big enough for almost all the chicks to be on it at once, there's no reason to fuss. If you're going to get jealous, just get up on there too. Usually there is just one chick up there and she reaches up from the ground and starts pecking at them. I'm considering marking that one so I don't keep her when we narrow down the chicks we're keeping if she continues to do that. I know they have their pecking order and stuff but this just seems petty....maybe I am overthinking it.

hit.gif

Ratchet has hurt 2 of the chickens. A BCM and a Comet. The BCM has bloody bald patches and the Comet is wet, muddy and has lots of missing feathers..... Not sure what I am going to do just yet....

It's more the color of terracotta, sometimes with dark speckles. It gets much lighter later in the season.

Welsummer egg front and center. It's darker than that this year. The other brown eggs in the pic are not as dark as they look.

Grace is a hatchery chick who almost died from an umbilical hernia. She took a long time to lay and has spurs. Kind of skittish
Those eggs are just fabulous!

Back
Top Bottom