Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

KB!!!!
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
Hooray for the first egg

ETA the following because I just realized I never posted the earlier part...
Broody BO was back on the nest this morning and when I got home from work, she was still in the same spot. 6 eggs under her. so I hauled the "dogloo" in to see if she would prefer to brood in there - it would be better once the chicks come too... but she would go back to the first nest as soon as I would leave. so I would move her back...

I just checked on the broody BO, and she had returned to the first nest, leaving the 6 eggs behind. so I gave them to her where she wants to be. she's in one of the kennel cabs, and I have a door, so. if I need to, I can block her in with food and water until the rest learn to lay in the "dogloo" she was absolutely adorable, rolling the eggs back under her. and who knows if she has more than 6 at this point. it's day 1, so she can have any eggs that are laid in that pen today.

Last edited:
FINALLY !!! As the Count from Sesame Street would say....ONE...ONE...little eggy...HA HA HA!

I have no idea which one layed yet, I'll have to put a camera into the coop.
Thanks to all for the ideas.  I gave them the crushed red pepper, played them recordings of egg song, and put a light in the coop on a timer.
Yayayaya

KB - pics or it didn't happen! How old are they again?

Today we raked up the needles from our starburst pine tree and threw them in the run. Oh boy was that a party! I've never seen so much pecking and digging. I opened up the coop to see how that was going...smells fine. Smells like dirt...doesn't smell like chicken or poop. I used a stick to stir up the bedding and noticed that where they sleep the shavings were a little soggy. I will pay more attention to that spot and stir it up more frequently but so far coop poop management hasn't been too bad and with 15 (now 14 for but a while it was 15) chickens in a space meant for 4 (16 sq ft) I am pleased with how it's going. I also made them a proper waterer so I don't have to refill the ceramic dog dig I was using every day anymore. 5 whole gallons of water. What a treat!

Another thing I did was work on the nest box. It's coming along nicely. I'm not in a rush since if installed it I would have to make it so they can't go in anyway but at least it's in progress. Now if I could just get rid of my roos. Only a week now until I am supposed to be rid of them. Only 2 are big enough to even think about eating. The ameracauna are still quite small. The splash one is pretty sassy.

One of my reds

This is a second gen RSL as far as I can tell, which is how I got a male that wasn't white. I have two of these and they're getting big enough to at least make a small meal. This guy has maybe 2 weeks to go until he goes to the big chicken run in the sky.

Hello, just thought I would share my morning with you all. ..... Omg my worms came today!! ** Small word of advise though... Let your DH (dear hubby) know that you've ordered them so that he doesn't open them and freak out thinking that " whatever you ordered is bad! It's covered in worms!!" Lmba!! He said he now (after 24yrs), has confirmation that I'm nuts!!"

frow.gif
MrsLoris
welcome-byc.gif
!! I have a meal worm farm, in my living room. can't tell ya how many people look at it and tell me that my "planter" is full of worms. so I say oh! and I dash to the kitchen, come back with a small bite of carrot... gotta feed the little roley poley's!
gig.gif

I have 13 Eggs in the basket, plus the 6 (at least) that are under the BO Broody. there were 2 others looking for a place to lay while she was playing musical nests. when I gave her back the 6 that she left, she didn't lift up, just rolled them under. she could be sitting on a couple more, but I won't check til morning, when I put the door on her kennel. someone definitely was scoping out the dogloo, the fresh hay was gathered toward the back in a perfect round nest. but no egg... so maybe Royce fixed it up all nice and cozy to encourage his girls.

Thank you Cheeka! I have to admit I've been lurking for a bit now, but I can tell you all that you have made my day countless times with your great posts!!

Back
Top Bottom