Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

no, it's light tan, do EEs sometimes start tan?

Thank you very much for the EXCITEMENT !
Yay for the new egg!!
wee.gif

Your pullet won't change egg colors, it's either a blue or white shell, with or without some brown outer layers.

If an EE is carrying the necessary gene, it will lay an egg that has a blue shell, rather than white shells, like everyone else. If the same hen also has genes for brown over coating, the brown added over the blue shell will make the egg look green or khaki or olive, depending on the darkness/amount of brown. This same brown coating over a white shell can range from cream to tan to chocolate.

Sometimes pullets start off laying lighter than normal, so you may find eggs from this pullet getting a bit darker tan as her plumbing gets fully working . Also, the eggs from a single hen will tend to fade a bit over the laying season, getting lighter or paler, but they won't suddenly change from tan to green. If your EE has a pea comb, the chances are better that she also carries the gene for blue shells. My barred Rock lays a light tan egg (when she feels like it.
roll.png
). Fingers crossed you get some blue or green eggs!
fl.gif
They taste better!
big_smile.png

I have one EE that lays a cream and one EE that lays a tan. The other three. Lay blue/green!!!

I got the tiniest egg today and both silkies are not laying (one raising one brooding) so I'm assuming it's a new layer! I forgot how small they were when they first started!!

And being a slacker I never unblocked the nest boxes so guess where it was??? In the nest box in the big girl coop!!! I'm one proud mama!!!!

I love turtles, but that turtle is so prehistoric looking. Is is a snapping turtle? Yea you better get to the market...if you are like me, gotta have creamer with my coffee.
yes, they're snappers, and they're dangerous if you don't know they're around... or if you don't know how to handle them. I hate that they kill baby ducks swimming in ponds... but they've got to eat too. and I'll be a nasty snapper without my creamer! stocked up on all kinds of people feed, spent way too much $$, but some stuff will last - I was out of a few spices, there went $25 poof.

We have an EGG. is it the Easter Egger 19 week old hen that came here last week who I found on it or is it the oldest Barred Rock's? light tan?
Congratulations! it could be either... you could mark the vent of the hens in question with food coloring as subhanalah mentioned, but it has to be reapplied daily, use different colors... the egg will have a smear of food coloring. or you can do like most of us do, and wait to catch one on the nest. if you're really lucky, you'll actually catch the egg as they stand to lay it. I just learned a couple of weeks ago that one of my EE's that I assumed laid pink/light cream actually lays green. she's 18 months old... so it can take a while if you have a lot of chickens. I have only 1 EE that lays tan. my BR's lay a very light cream. all four of them. each egg is a treasure, don't be disappointed if you don't get the color you hoped for. each one is an essential part of your pallet, each one varies ever so in shade... they're all beautiful.

I have one EE that lays a cream and one EE that lays a tan. The other three. Lay blue/green!!!

I got the tiniest egg today and both silkies are not laying (one raising one brooding) so I'm assuming it's a new layer! I forgot how small they were when they first started!!

And being a slacker I never unblocked the nest boxes so guess where it was??? In the nest box in the big girl coop!!! I'm one proud mama!!!!
that's so awesome! once a pullet begins laying, they are looked at with a whole new regard by the rest of the flock. it's usually not an issue for the younger one's to take up a space in the nests, as long as it isn't "the favorite" spot.

only 16 Eggs today, but that's because I gave 7 to Peach. there were 23...

My Sweet Mama... I'm just tickled that she wants to sit! she got right up to eat, it's just hours into day one, she knows she'll get at least 3-4 hand offerings daily. grasses, fresh fruits, her favorite seeds... she quickly ate most of that, and was settled back down in 10 minutes.

Mom was nearby. Little one was hiding from the gardeners accross the street. Mom had just beat the crap out of a neighborhood dog. I cheered! We were getting ready to chase the dog away, when momma came charging. :)

Back
Top Bottom