Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

I cannot believe I am 108 posts behind!! I have three pullets, and today, they laid five eggs. I collect the eggs daily, so is it possible for a chicken too lay 2 eggs in 24 hours?

Yes, this has happened to me before, I watched a hen lay an egg in the morning and then later that day I found another egg that was her's in the same nesting box! I thought I'd gone mad.

Last edited:
Good to be back and j caught up w some of the last few days...

Someone mine asked what my grey chicken was and I think it's a blue Ameracauna (true for the stinking price I paid)!! Ugghhh she better be pretty...

I have ducks now too...just started integrating them w the chickens. They seem like they're getting along!

Spent all day Roto tilling the sand in the run. So it's all nice s fluffy. But while we were out 4 Hawks were spotted. Thankfully we were out there all day w them and I'll keep them locked up again til migrating season is over...

Scrambles I was so happy to hear rumpled is still around!! YAY!!!!!!

Nothing like the clarion call off Egg Song at 5am... Smh. I love my girls but that gets crazy some mornings. Seriously. 10 solid minutes of "bok bok bok bok bak-AACK!" About half way thru, someone joined in counterpoint with a consistent "Eeeeeerrrrrrrrrr, eerrrrrrrr, eeerrrrrr!" I'd like to think the second girl was telling the first to shut the heck up and go back to sleep but... I know better. Esp when the ducks were murmuring very shortly after. I kept laying there with my head buried in my pillows thinking "it'll stop soon and I can go back to sleep". No such luck. I'm a light sleeper to start with and once truly awake (& who wouldn't be with that racket??) I'm up for good. This was earlier last week when I didn't have to get up for my day job as early. So much for sleeping in a bit! Today, as usual, the girls took pity on me as they usually do, and let me sleep in til 7am. Yes, for me that's sleeping in. One day perhaps I will invest in an auto opening door. Right now tho, I actually enjoy the routine of physically going out to let them into the run.
One of our girls, Angel, our little RC, is our " Town cryer". She's the one who announces, whether or not the laying hen does, that someone has in fact laid an egg. She just is so excited and proud of everyone, lol! Our 4 ducks are typically the earliest layers. I can bank on finding their eggs first (yes, even at 5am...).
I've been busy working my business after the day J. O. B. So I'm catching up a bit here...
MC- you're a great mom/aunt. Never doubt yourself even when you fail. And you will. We all do, lol. Most of it you won't remember and neither will the kids. They'll remember the sacrifices (when they're older) but the time and love will stay with them always. As far as the sectional, aren't you in Pa? If so, where? I'll keep my ear to the ground and hook you up if I hear of anyone. Oh, and just a thought, love the gosling could also be your little drake, lol.
Cheeka do be careful. Tore my miniscus cpl yrs ago and went thru lapro surg. Takes a while to fully heal, even after you are "released".
You all are making me hungry for sourdough bread! Who's got a good sd bread recipe? I don't have any starter either, so I'd need a starter recipe too.
And now, a request for some hen advice...
Two of my girls have red butts. I think it's bc they won't roost and insist on sleeping in their nest boxes. Then they poo... Even though I clean everything weekly, I'm thinking they're giving themselves butt burn. Could it be anything else? Most of my girls insist on sleeping in the nests and everyone else is fine. No baboon butts. It does mean I'm often scooping out the boxes more than once/wk but they're happy so...
Next, every now and again I get a " sandpaper" egg from one of the girls. The shell is really rought and has an odd, pale, uneven color. The egg seems fine otherwise but I worry about diet deficiencies, etc. Thoughts??

Nothing like the clarion call off Egg Song at 5am... Smh. I love my girls but that gets crazy some mornings. Seriously. 10 solid minutes of "bok bok bok bok bak-AACK!" About half way thru, someone joined in counterpoint with a consistent "Eeeeeerrrrrrrrrr, eerrrrrrrr, eeerrrrrr!" I'd like to think the second girl was telling the first to shut the heck up and go back to sleep but... I know better. Esp when the ducks were murmuring very shortly after. I kept laying there with my head buried in my pillows thinking "it'll stop soon and I can go back to sleep". No such luck. I'm a light sleeper to start with and once truly awake (& who wouldn't be with that racket??) I'm up for good. This was earlier last week when I didn't have to get up for my day job as early. So much for sleeping in a bit! Today, as usual, the girls took pity on me as they usually do, and let me sleep in til 7am. Yes, for me that's sleeping in. One day perhaps I will invest in an auto opening door. Right now tho, I actually enjoy the routine of physically going out to let them into the run.
One of our girls, Angel, our little RC, is our " Town cryer". She's the one who announces, whether or not the laying hen does, that someone has in fact laid an egg. She just is so excited and proud of everyone, lol! Our 4 ducks are typically the earliest layers. I can bank on finding their eggs first (yes, even at 5am...).
I've been busy working my business after the day J. O. B. So I'm catching up a bit here...
MC- you're a great mom/aunt. Never doubt yourself even when you fail. And you will. We all do, lol. Most of it you won't remember and neither will the kids. They'll remember the sacrifices (when they're older) but the time and love will stay with them always. As far as the sectional, aren't you in Pa? If so, where? I'll keep my ear to the ground and hook you up if I hear of anyone. Oh, and just a thought, love the gosling could also be your little drake, lol.
Cheeka do be careful. Tore my miniscus cpl yrs ago and went thru lapro surg. Takes a while to fully heal, even after you are "released".
You all are making me hungry for sourdough bread! Who's got a good sd bread recipe? I don't have any starter either, so I'd need a starter recipe too.
And now, a request for some hen advice...
Two of my girls have red butts. I think it's bc they won't roost and insist on sleeping in their nest boxes. Then they poo... Even though I clean everything weekly, I'm thinking they're giving themselves butt burn. Could it be anything else? Most of my girls insist on sleeping in the nests and everyone else is fine. No baboon butts. It does mean I'm often scooping out the boxes more than once/wk but they're happy so...
Next, every now and again I get a " sandpaper" egg from one of the girls. The shell is really rought and has an odd, pale, uneven color. The egg seems fine otherwise but I worry about diet deficiencies, etc. Thoughts
It sounds like you are having a lot of fun!

This thread has a lot of baking and etc. stuff in it. The first post has a thread index:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/921333/any-home-bakers-here

Let me know if you want me to mail you some starter. I do not charge for it.

Okee dokee, smokey!
Well I keep thinking that the next child will be a boy, I am now realizing that would be bad. Males are thought of very highly in this family, and I don't mean that in a good way. I am now hoping vehemently that it is another girl. Besides, that would make the clothing issue a lot easier! LOL!
I see your point in the red butt issue. But as for the eggs, that is a problem. I just can't remember what it is.

Does anyone else have trouble following the presidential debates and interviews? Isn't there a channel, or a time that each person can sit down for an hour and calmly tell us about themselves and what they believe? No yelling, no putting anyone down. Just talking to us.

Rain.... rain.... rain.....
1f623.png

I don't know who the heck was doing the interview this morning, but the guy wasn't looking too good. When I looked him up, he looked a heck of a lot better!
Too bad I forget his name, but he was born in Pennsylvania, now he's the governor of Ohio. I don't care Republican or Democrat. I am free party simply because I don't want to get into the whole "I am ..." debate. "You're an idiot" or "you're a possibility" is the best that anyone could do it this point! Though I must say, that Trump has been on my mind for several years. Ever since he considered running. He isn't the jerk that he used to be. So if you're ignoring him simply for his past, don't.
Are there any Democratic candidates that aren't big fat liars? Sorry. I never forgave Hillery for the lies that she was telling 10 years ago.
I am trying to keep this PC for BYC. So if anyone wants to get into a hot debate, you're going to have to PM me. Basically, the people that are not regulars here. I can't imagine any of us regulars really getting into it. :lau

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom