3 B's Chicken Shack 1 & 2
Kugler Cluck House - hoop coop
Egg Shaped Hoop Coop
My Cattle Panel Hoop Coop
The Hoop Coop

Tractors

Aart's Hoop Coop/Chicken tractor
Hoop Tractor

There are at least 2 more that I'm looking for. I'll search trough large coops - if I remember right they are designed in larger sizes...

Hi OP!!

What did you choose to go with? Did you get your chicks? How is IL weather right now? Ours is wet and cold, a couple of light freezes and going to freeze tonight.

PICTURES BELOW!

Hi Everyone, thank you for all the help! I greatly appreciate it. I am moderately new to chickens so thanks so much for being patient and giving awesome advice.

I ended up building my own coop actually. The majority of the material on the pre fab coops are just too flimsy and won’t last in my climate. I have two silkie hens and one Orpington. I don’t want anymore chickens though these three are plenty for me! The hen house is 4 ft x 4 ft long. And the chicken run is 8 ft x 8 ft. I winterized the heck out of this coop because it started snowing here pretty early and there is a lot of cold rain storms. Thankfully my hard work payed off because the coop is dry and my birds are happy! I got my two silkies as 6 months old a while back and now they are 10 months. The Orpington you see in there was raised by one of the silkies to! (she was broody).

To create the coop I read articles on here about ventilation and I took inspiration from these plans: https://www.blessthismessplease.com/dyi-chicken-coup

Thanks again for all your help! I’m looking forward to this winter and the first eggs this spring! Also, any advice you all can give me about my coop or what I should fix about it is greatly appreciated.

It’s not the prettiest thing....but it does the job!

Attachments

• 05A1EC20-7DAC-4048-838C-F267E27B5386.jpeg
    05A1EC20-7DAC-4048-838C-F267E27B5386.jpeg
    835.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 6E358F09-2A15-4970-829D-0620E68EEAE6.jpeg
    6E358F09-2A15-4970-829D-0620E68EEAE6.jpeg
    854.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 73AB5F0B-5433-4D87-B9EF-C78EB4471E1F.jpeg
    73AB5F0B-5433-4D87-B9EF-C78EB4471E1F.jpeg
    819.5 KB · Views: 13
PICTURES BELOW!

Hi Everyone, thank you for all the help! I greatly appreciate it. I am moderately new to chickens so thanks so much for being patient and giving awesome advice.

I ended up building my own coop actually. The majority of the material on the pre fab coops are just too flimsy and won’t last in my climate. I have two silkie hens and one Orpington. I don’t want anymore chickens though these three are plenty for me! The hen house is 4 ft x 4 ft long. And the chicken run is 8 ft x 8 ft. I winterized the heck out of this coop because it started snowing here pretty early and there is a lot of cold rain storms. Thankfully my hard work payed off because the coop is dry and my birds are happy! I got my two silkies as 6 months old a while back and now they are 10 months. The Orpington you see in there was raised by one of the silkies to! (she was broody).

To create the coop I read articles on here about ventilation and I took inspiration from these plans: https://www.blessthismessplease.com/dyi-chicken-coup

Thanks again for all your help! I’m looking forward to this winter and the first eggs this spring! Also, any advice you all can give me about my coop or what I should fix about it is greatly appreciated.

It’s not the prettiest thing....but it does the job!
Where is the ventilation? Am I missing it?

Is that Housewrap/Tyvek??? I've had a hard time finding its effective open area per sq ft so I could correctly calculate how much wall space I would need per bird for a Tyvek skinned coop.

Here is the link to the tarp I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D1B3SQ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Its working very well for me and is blocking out the elements, I read about it on an article on winterizing chicken coops by Lisa Steele, here is the link to that: https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2016/01/how-to-winterize-your-chicken-run.html

It was a great source of info for me.

Where is the ventilation? Am I missing it?
I have installed vents on the hen house for air circulation but no drafts, also I lined the hen house walls with insulation. The chicken run itself has a little slit near the back and allows for air circulation but no drafts ever enter. My silkies are in the run all day long and never seem to be cold. I also know my ventilation is working because the coop isn't moist at all and I don't smell strong ammonia. I don't have any photos right now of the ventilation setup but maybe today I can take some.

Back
Top Bottom