Should I call Animal Control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granolamom

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Dallas
My neighbor has 6 or 7 roosters tied up in his yard, most of them with no shelter whatsoever. Tomorrow's forecast predicts temps in the 10's. I noticed, that they have not been crowing at all the past 2 days, and it makes me sick to think that they might freeze to death. Please tell me, what to do.

Don't know if animal control will take the call seriously (they may think it's "just" a chicken), but do it anyway.

alot of people that have alot of roosters keep them tethered ,, but if they CARED bout them, they would have small shelters for them to get out of the weather in
roll.png

if they have no shelter, or they arent put "in something" then i would call,, just cause you call doesnt mean you are saying the person is doing something "bad", it says you saw a situation, and it worried you, and its up to local enforcement to look into it,, it is not safe for you to.

Without knowing the person's situation, or the hows and whys of what he's doing, I can't really suggest what you should do. And unless I had the means to actually help (maybe some extra pet taxi's to give him to set by each of the birds?) I wouldn't go over and put my nose in. Unless they are OBVIOUSLY injured, neglected or in imminent danger I woudln't call animal control.

It's probably not the popular choice, but it's what I'd do, and here's why.

I had my cage birds sitting on my front porch, i usually do that when cleaning their cages. But I had a bad spider problem and was bug bombing the room the birds are usually in. It was a lovely day, my porch is secluded, and partially screened in. I worried that the chemicals would leech into the rest of the house harming the cockatiel and parakeets if i left them inside. I made sure the cages were secure and needed to run to the store for some new feed for them (i had forgotten it and left it in the room i was bug bombing). I didn't want to make them sick with contaminated food. So I went. By the time i got back, about 30 minutes, animal control was here and I was cited for neglect. My birds were squalking away enjoying the outside fresh air. Someone decided I was just leaving them out there and not tending to them. I showed the officer I went to get new food, and showed him their usual inside environment. To my luck I also got to show him a few dead black widows, thanks to the effects of the bug bomb. You could smell the chemical in the house when you opened the door, i got out of the ticket, but it was embarassing and totally unnecessary. They had no idea what my reasons were and jumped to the worst possible conclusion and nearly dragged me over the coals.

Last edited:
That looks like a bad situation. Better safe than sorry. Theres no harm in calling Animal Control or the police to come check out the situation. Who knows, you might end up saving those roosters lives.

I agree, better safe than sorry. I honestly could not live with myself if I didn't try. To keep any animal in temps like that without some means of shelter is cruel and I'm pretty sure animal control or the police will feel the same.

It's a free call! You might save some chicken's life! Does he have other birds too?

I learned from someone on here that some that breed game birds do this, but they provide humane shelter as well.

Good luck. You'll be relieved you did, even if they do nothing, at least YOU did something
Christina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom