Should I cancel this order?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kar0427, Feb 15, 2015.

  1. kar0427

    kar0427 Out Of The Brooder

    74
    5
    33
    Nov 16, 2013
    Nicholasville, Ky
    I ordered 15 chicks - 5 each of Australorp, Oprington and Barred Rock to meet the minimum - from Meyers last month. February 17 was the first available shipping date and with the weather being decently mild for winter (and my impatience), I chose that date. I think it was 54 degrees the day I ordered and I foolishly felt "springy".
    Now they're 2 days away from shipping, the weather when shipped will be below zero between Ohio and Kentucky, there's a winter storm warning of 6-12 inches starting tonight, and my impatience has turned into dread/fear.
    Do they know what they're doing with shipping at the hatchery, or do I use my common sense to think there is no way they can survive given the weather and road conditions? I hate to lose the money (policy is no cancellations 2 weeks before hatch?) but there could absolutely not have been a worse time for shipping to this area and I will be kicking myself for weeks for the choice of dates if they suffer for it.
     
  2. farnorth

    farnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

    362
    34
    103
    Jul 6, 2013
    Upper Michigan
    I would never order chicks during cold weather conditions. I see so many posts on here this month of people having so many chicks dying. I think it's just too cold for shipping. No matter how well packed it's just not gonna stay 90 degrees inside a shipping box in the cold weather. I'd postpone it if it was me....others may have differing opinions.
     
  3. red horse ranch

    red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,031
    216
    181
    Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I agree! 15 chicks won't make it alive in those temperatures.
     
  4. enola

    enola Overrun With Chickens

    That's a tough decision (since they say they don't like cancellations) but, I would probably cancel the order.
     
  5. kar0427

    kar0427 Out Of The Brooder

    74
    5
    33
    Nov 16, 2013
    Nicholasville, Ky
    I think you're all right. Surely they have a contingency plan for really extreme weather and will allow rescheduling. I'll call tomorrow and ask and if they don't agree the weather is too severe and it would be cruel to attempt shipping and allow shipping later, then they're not a place I want to do animal business with anyway. At this point in my life I'd rather lose $70 than one minute of looking at animals I played a part in killing.
     
  6. Folly's place

    Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

    8,064
    2,711
    416
    Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I only order chicks mid-April to mid-June. Weather matters! Mary
     
  7. ladyearth

    ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

    930
    58
    141
    Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    yeah I know about impatience... I am the biggest.....will they let you postpone?? not get your money back but ship after this "stuff" passes us...

    yeah I was scared too.... but so anxious,,,,,,so drove to Rural King last Tuesday......Just hope they were labeled correctly.. sign said "pullets" but sign close by said "straight run" I was assured over phone they were all GIRLS.... and later while getting the little wild sillybutts GIRLS that saleslady said..." all Girls". Course it was evening and all the regular "pet" dept. chiefs were gone for the evening...
    Hope electric does not go out... it will be hard to maintain ideal temperatures for my new chicks
    I need to get my butt outside and check on my spoiled rotten big (1 year almost old)Flock.. they are prob wondering where there extras are....
    hoping for the best.....
     
  8. Urban Flock

    Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

    231
    14
    70
    Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    I'm in 100% agreement with you!
     
  9. enola

    enola Overrun With Chickens

    Cancelling your order will mean you will have to re-order later. Shipment of chicks can not be delayed/rescheduled. Chicks can not be mailed after the yolk is absorbed. This is a tough decision....... Also why I don't order chicks before warm weather.
     
  10. song of joy

    song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

    940
    223
    181
    Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Meyer does use heat packs but I'd be inclined to cancel considering how cold it is. I know it's disappointing, but DOA chicks would be much worse. Perhaps they'd split the difference in cost with you if you bump the order to a later date.

    I've never ordered chicks before early April, and I still worry about them being warm enough during transit, but so far they're all made it just fine during April and June shipments.

    BTW - On a different thread, someone just reported losing 9 of 25 chicks (from Meyer), presumably due to the cold.
     
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by