Should I complain???

littledirtlanefarms

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Eastern NC
I bought chicks from someone in my area...well, 2 hours from me. They were NPIP Certified...when I got their there they wouldn't allow me on the farm. I understand that...then the guy said "I'm not hiding anything". He brought the chicks out in boxes...all closed up. I asked to see them. He pulled out the top half of their body and then put it back in the box. These chicks came from inside a building that looked like a nicer style shed...so I brought the chicks home. When I took them out of the box it looked like they had mud stuck to the bottom of their feet. But then I remembered that they came out of the building...it wasn't mud, it was poop, and it was caked...I kept them separate for the night and without thinking I put the older chicks in my heated tractor and the younger ones inside in the brooder. When I went to clean the kennel they were in the next morning there was blood in it. They were infected with Cocci and they infected my entire tractor with my sq silkies and my inside brooder with ALL of the chicks that I hatched from purchased hatching eggs. So far the death toll is 26 birds. Now one group of the chicks I got are dying and showing symptoms of Mareks disease...should I complain??? These people are very active on BYC and sell chicks to other people. I would hate for this to happen to someone else. I sell my silkies, I haven't been able to make any money lately because of this and I have lost hundreds of dollars in birds. I would NEVER sell a sick bird. What do you guys think??? What would you do?

Quote:
I can't believe you hadnt said anything at the first sign of blood or when you got them home! I would have been on that phone likety split!. I also would have made hime show me the chicks FULLY before taking them. I'm so sorry this is happening to you...YES COMPLAIN ASAP-but I doubt they will do anything since he had the nerve to sell them like that--are you treating the birds right now???

Definitely complain, nicely, of course. You spent your good money, which is hard to come by these days, and what do you have to show for it? I'm sure you could have spent your hard earned money in a different way than to give it to someone who obviously is unscrupulous.

I really made a bad decision this time...I got taken for ride too...people that do this kind of thing usually don't care either...it's a darn shame that good people have to tolerate the bad and constantly be effected by their actions...

I bought a rooster a few years back... after I got him home, of course, I noticed he had leg mites. Thankfully, I quarantined him for 4 weeks and treated his mites before introducing him to the rest of my flock. I didn't complain, but I did tell the person I purchased the rooster from about the mites.. of course they were "very surprised" to hear this. I learned my lesson and I will never purchase a bird again without really checking it out thoroughly and knowing exactly what I am getting myself into.
I am soooo sorry you are losing so many chicks, I know that it is very difficult and frustrating and I do think you should let the seller know about what you are experiencing - just be warned that talking to the seller may only further your frustration, especially if they disagree with you and / or deny responsibility...
Again, I'm really sorry about your chicks...
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom