Should I cull or give it a chance?

Aw, poor baby.
I would leave it with mama and just see what happens. @Clap p 1 had a dorking chick that was just like that, it was a brooder baby though. You might want to read their thread about sweet little Seven. I wish you luck in whatever decision you make. If you decide to cull there's nothing wrong with that, but you could definitely give her a chance. Mama will probably cull on her own if she thinks it's bad enough.
I really would not leave it with mama. She too will peck it. If there is blood or a sore of any type, chickens will peck it. Once they taste blood, that little chicken will not survive. Chickens are meat eaters too. I had a mama peck her little baby's foot just because it had a black spot on it. Eventually, he lost that toe. That is why we named him Tripod.

With cross beak that severe as a hatchling, this bird will never thrive. As they grow, cross beaks get worse. I personally would cull this one.

If it were just the lack of one eye, that's no issue.
I hope this helps. I just googled it. If you want you can got to the website, Meyer Hatchery, or just google it yourself how crossbeak hatchlings, This hatchery has an article about the causes and management of it. Google also had on there that feed crumble is better foe crossbeaks than the pellet form. Mix it up with plain yogurt or plain cooked oatmeal.

Ok, last night this one hatches. Mom has three others but this was one of the two foster eggs.( the other chick is perfect) there is no left side of her head: no eye/socket, bone structure, nothing but skin and fluff and a severely crossed beak. I don't know if she has sight in her eye. She can't stand up well and moves clumsily. I'm thinking I need to cull this little one, but wanted to make sure she doesn't have a chance at a happy life. Thanks in advance!View attachment 2355577View attachment 2355574View attachment 2355575View attachment 2355576View attachment 2355577View attachment 2355574View attachment 2355575View attachment 2355576View attachment 2355577
Cross beaks can’t be honed (field down) so they continue to grow, almost into the throat, to the point that the birds really can’t eat. Culling it would be doing it a favor before it has time to suffer

Cross beaks can’t be honed (field down) so they continue to grow, almost into the throat, to the point that the birds really can’t eat. Culling it would be doing it a favor before it has time to suffer
Try the wet feed first, please. If it grows to much, use a dremel with a sanding wheel to trim the beak. My rooster Took has to have that done because he has an overbite

I really would not leave it with mama. She too will peck it. If there is blood or a sore of any type, chickens will peck it. Once they taste blood, that little chicken will not survive. Chickens are meat eaters too. I had a mama peck her little baby's foot just because it had a black spot on it. Eventually, he lost that toe. That is why we named him Tripod.
There isn't any blood right now though.
I know all about that, chickens are drawn to weaknesses because they want to eliminate any weak birds from their flock. I agree, it probably will not make it. Culling is probably the best choice. It's a very hard one to make. I just like to give my birds a chance until it's obvious they are in pain or having a bad quality of life. My broody raised a chick that had it's whole rear pecked open by one of my hens. (the meanest hen ever, she is now gone) It was very bloody, but otherwise healthy. My hen and her other babies didn't mind one bit. She grew up just fine, though, rumpless.
I'm sure OP has a gut instinct on what to do. Whatever that is is what should be done. It's hard to give good advice over the internet sometimes, since it's impossible to see the bird in person.

Aw, poor baby.
I would leave it with mama and just see what happens. @Clap p 1 had a dorking chick that was just like that, it was a brooder baby though. You might want to read their thread about sweet little Seven. I wish you luck in whatever decision you make. If you decide to cull there's nothing wrong with that, but you could definitely give her a chance. Mama will probably cull on her own if she thinks it's bad enough.
Thank you.

Ok, last night this one hatches. Mom has three others but this was one of the two foster eggs.( the other chick is perfect) there is no left side of her head: no eye/socket, bone structure, nothing but skin and fluff and a severely crossed beak. I don't know if she has sight in her eye. She can't stand up well and moves clumsily. I'm thinking I need to cull this little one, but wanted to make sure she doesn't have a chance at a happy life. Thanks in advance!View attachment 2355577View attachment 2355574View attachment 2355575View attachment 2355576View attachment 2355577View attachment 2355574View attachment 2355575View attachment 2355576View attachment 2355577
Try giving it a chance. I saw a similar case in a youtube video , might help. Although yours is a little too severe.

I'm thinking I need to cull this little one, but wanted to make sure she doesn't have a chance at a happy life.
I am all for giving them a chance, but as others have said, the cross beak will probably get worse and this chick will need very specialized care, starting now, and for the rest of its life. :hugs If mine I would euthanize.

Back
Top Bottom