Should I cull this rooster?

TheBanditQueen

Songster
9 Years
Jun 1, 2013
I hope this is in the correct category...

So I have this Cochin or Cochin mix rooster, 4 or 5 months old, who was given to me last week. He has been rehomed 3 times and nobody liked him. He was aggressive when he got here. He has pecked our shoes and tried to flog a couple times. After a couple days, I got fed up with his obnoxiousness, doused him with water, and chased him around the yard. Ever since, he has been as meek as can be. He quit stalking me around the yard, doesn't approach me anymore, and if I move into his space he gives it right to me.

Today he came up with the other chickens when I went out to feed them their scratch, but he hung back and moved away if I so much as turned toward him.

For the record, we're not out anything since he was given to us to eat anyway. My question is, are roosters once mean always mean? I didn't know if roosters could actually be rehabilitated or not. I just did it to get him to settle down until we had time to kill him; I didn't know it would actually work this long. :p Sometimes we have friends over with children, and I do not want anybody else getting attacked. Should we eat him and try again with another rooster?

He's still young. If you keep him, don't allow any aggressive behavior. Correct him each time he tries, and I'm pretty sure he will try again. He's in those young, teenage rooster years right now where he feels he has to show who is in charge and whose hens these are! If you keep him in line, he might work out. I had an Ameraucana rooster who was like that as a youngster, but turned out to be a pretty good roo until a predator got him. He just disappeared into thin air! I hated to see him go, but my hens are doing fine without him at this point, so I'm not looking for another. It's up to you if you want to work with him as he matures, or not.

Keep him away from kids for sure, most roosters that I've dealt with will eventually challenge again, if he does, the next water that he should be doused with should be in a crockpot....

Well, he ended up going into the stewpot after all. He started attacking my husband again. I just didn't want to take any more chances. Sad, because he was so pretty, but I'd rather not deal with a rehab project of that scope.

He was delicious. :p Now we don't have to look over our shoulders in the yard anymore.

Thanks everyone!!

sounds like you did the right thing. At that young an age, a rooster that aggressive isn't going to end well. Plus, cochins get BIG. A mean rooster that big could do some pretty good damage to a little kid.

Back
Top Bottom