should i do the endoscopy?

Jul 3, 2020
Hello everyone.. ugh yet another tragedy with my sweet duck.. She was breathing odd, took her to the doc, turns out she had a ton of dirt in her ( i thought ducks eat dirt all the time?)- but they also found a staple.. kept her overnight, gave her fluids , did a CT scan, the staple is in the proventriculous, and so the option is i can either do an endoscopy tomorrow and hope that they grab it,( but there is risk if anesthesia, and trhe procedure it self- and she just had anesthesia today for the CT scan) or they said, since she is pooping ok, and doing great, i can take her home and wait, .. though with that of course there is a chance of a perferation. What do you all think?? i dont want to take a perfectly happy duck , put her under sedation and then have something go wrong.. but then i dont want to no do a procedure that might wiorkmin grabbing the staple.. ugh

So sorry! I had a chicken who had to go under anithesea, she was fine but I totally understand the anxious decision :hugs

I'm so sorry you are having more problems. Is this the same duck with the staple as before or a new duck?
no.. this is the one that had pneumonia last month! The staple most likely came from a little coop i used to give them some free range time in the yard.. i feel so guilty that their pen does not have the grass in it and i try to let them eat. too much dirt.. so i thought this would be perfect, a few hours on the grass( safely, without risk of hawks..) before heading into the pen.. but a staple from the stupid coop thing must have been loose! ugh So now the question is.. go try and get it or not ..

no.. this is the one that had pneumonia last month! The staple most likely came from a little coop i used to give them some free range time in the yard.. i feel so guilty that their pen does not have the grass in it and i try to let them eat. too much dirt.. so i thought this would be perfect, a few hours on the grass( safely, without risk of hawks..) before heading into the pen.. but a staple from the stupid coop thing must have been loose! ugh So now the question is.. go try and get it or not ..
Oh man. How is your other duck?

This is such a hard choice. Personally, I'm not as afraid of anesthesia as you are - for obvious reasons. But I was faced with a similar choice several years ago and I decided not to do it. The endoscopy was for diagnostic reasons, but it could have dislodged a fungal plug and killed my duck. It also could have helped us treat it more accurately. I felt I couldn't risk it.

Still... Your duck's situation is just different enough that I don't know what I would do. If it was your body what would you want done? Have you asked your vet what they would do if it was their pet? Have you asked about heavy metal poisoning if you leave the staple inside?

Oh man. How is your other duck?

This is such a hard choice. Personally, I'm not as afraid of anesthesia as you are - for obvious reasons. But I was faced with a similar choice several years ago and I decided not to do it. The endoscopy was for diagnostic reasons, but it could have dislodged a fungal plug and killed my duck. It also could have helped us treat it more accurately. I felt I couldn't risk it.

Still... Your duck's situation is just different enough that I don't know what I would do. If it was your body what would you want done? Have you asked your vet what they would do if it was their pet? Have you asked about heavy metal poisoning if you leave the staple inside?
my other two babies are good. The duck that had s staple, has done great, with no issues.
They are missing shiloh for sure. Yes i asked her if it were her duck.. she said she would probably just leave it ( but i keep having this nagging feeling that she doesn't t want to do the procedure tomorrow bc she is busy) I am afraid bc right now she is good.. she just had anesthsia today.. now she would go under again.. ugh. However better to do it while she is stable, then if/when a puncture occurs. ugh ugh i am so afraid ti make the wrong decision. Is the risk low for these things in ducks? heavy metal poisoning done waiting for results They said if that came back positive then they would go in.

my other two babies are good. The duck that had s staple, has done great, with no issues.
They are missing shiloh for sure. Yes i asked her if it were her duck.. she said she would probably just leave it ( but i keep having this nagging feeling that she doesn't t want to do the procedure tomorrow bc she is busy) I am afraid bc right now she is good.. she just had anesthsia today.. now she would go under again.. ugh. However better to do it while she is stable, then if/when a puncture occurs. ugh ugh i am so afraid ti make the wrong decision. Is the risk low for these things in ducks? heavy metal poisoning done waiting for results They said if that came back positive then they would go in.
I just remembered another one of my ducks did have a diagnostic endoscopy test! We were trying to rule out a cause for her chronic diarrhea. She is fine, 3 years later. Still has diarrhea. *bangs head on a brick wall*

I know how you feel about making the wrong decisions. I feel like my vets throw life and death choices into a hat and have me pick one at random.

It feels to me like you are leaning towards retrieving the staple.

I just remembered another one of my ducks did have a diagnostic endoscopy test! We were trying to rule out a cause for her chronic diarrhea. She is fine, 3 years later. Still has diarrhea. *bangs head on a brick wall*

I know how you feel about making the wrong decisions. I feel like my vets throw life and death choices into a hat and have me pick one at random.

It feels to me like you are leaning towards retrieving the staple.
i was.. but now im thinking leave her alone.. let her come home ..i dont know.. i feel like they may not even geti it...
Glad your baby is doing well!!

If it were me i would not preform a procedure on a happy duck. Some people do dumb stuff like swallow razor blades ect. The digestive track is surprisingly quite resistant to penetration. Ducks can get metal poisoning from eating galvanized metal so that would be my only concern that i would bring up with the vet.

Back
Top Bottom