Should I even lockdown? Incubating unknown pekin and muscovy mix eggs together -

mommyjess

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2021
We have both Pekins and Muscovies on purpose to raise meat birds. Two males of each breed and 7-8 females of each breed. The stakes don't care which females they mate with, so mules or hinnies are possible. This is our first year. We thought our Muscovies would be good at hatching out eggs for both breeds. We've decided to incubate a batch as spring has arrived, but now realize we may have a problem. We have no idea which eggs are laid by the pekins and which by the muscovies, so are worried about the different incubation time and need for different humidities at different times in the hatching process. And when to stop rotating the eggs for a lockdown? Is this doomed to be a failure? Anyone know or have any experience?

Last edited:
Shell texture is different. With some practice you should be able to separate most eggs by breed.

Glad I found this post! I have a similar issue with Pekins and Muscovies in the same incubator and trying to figure out best plan of attack for lockdown period.

Back
Top Bottom