Should I get rid of my hen?

Murs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 23, 2011
North SD County
A little history... I had four chickens and lost three. The one I had left is Earline. She has always been the most skittish chicken, maybe that's why she was a survivor. I couldn't leave her alone so I bought another Buff Orpington. Earline is a barred rock.
Earline established the pecking order and made sure my new Buff Orpington, named Buffy, knew she was boss.

They seemed to get along very well with Earline giving her a peck now and again but Buffy could stand her ground. Then Buffy got broody. So I purchased four fertile eggs locally and put them under Buffy.

Today was hatch day! All four chicks hatched which I thought was great. I wasn't home when they hatched. Also, I did not separate her since I only have the two chickens.
I got home and one chic was outside with Earline and Earline was pacing at the fence. I picked the chic up and gave her back to Buffy who was inside the coop. There were two other chics with her and a fourth chic off in the corner farther away. It was a little black one, so cute. I picked it up and noticed some blood. On both sides of its face it had been pecked. I returned it to momma and watched her. She was not aggressive towards it but did not try to protect it either. Then Earline came into the coop and started eating from the chic feeder which is inside the nest box with Buffy. The little black chic was trying to get under Buffy to no avail. Buffy started eating and Earline pecked her, then Earline grabbed the little black chic and threw it! I think it broke the chics neck. I picked it up and brought it inside but it died within 10 minutes. Very sad.

So, should I get rid of Earline? I don't really have the means to keep them separate.

You must separate the broody and her babies, at least for now. Put someone in a big dog crate, or something. Immediately! Or raise the chicks in a brooder. Protect the poor little guys if mom is unable. Both hens are inexperienced and might do better in a week or two. Good luck, Mary

You must separate the broody and her babies, at least for now.  Put someone in a big dog crate, or something.  Immediately!  Or raise the chicks in a brooder.  Protect the poor little guys if mom is unable.  Both hens are inexperienced and might do better in a week or two.  Good luck, Mary

I let Earline (the aggressive hen) out to free range all day yesterday. In the evening I closed the hen house so she could not get in. I put up a roost for her outside and she slept outside last night in the enclosed are where the coop is. She was safe. This morning she is out free ranging again.

I can't keep the hen house closed up forever so I do need to find a different way to separate them.

Maybe try exposing the Earline to the chicks again....maybe Buffy will have wised up and protect the babies.

Given the previous experience, I'd keep them separated for a couple of weeks, at least. How big is your coop? Does it have more than one entrance, even a window that can be used as a separate entrance? You could buy a roll of 1" chicken wire and divide the coop in half, give Earlene just enough room to get in and roost and nest, give the rest of the space to the mama and babies, or beg, buy or borrow a dog crate and house Earlene separately. After hatching these babies, it would be hard to see the dominant hen kill them all.

After hatching these babies, it would be hard to see the dominant hen kill them all.

That would be terrible!

I went down to my shed and dug out my big dog crate. I have it outside of the coop but right up next to it so when momma hen and the chics come out of the coop they will be able to see each other. During the day I will let her out to free range.

That will have to work for now.

does the broody hen puff up when you get near? If so, I would leave those babies with her. Usually within a day, the chicks know to snuggle in under mama, and to keep mama between them and the layers. Broodies should really puff up and get huge when something gets too close to the chicks. Usually with in 24 hours of hatching, they all have it figured out. However, that 12-24 hours while hatching can be tricky.

Mrs K

I also set up a box, or a pallet to divide the run. Don't make it tight against the hens, but rather just a barrier that they can get behind. often times out of sight is enough.

Mrs K

does the broody hen puff up when you get near? If so, I would leave those babies with her. Usually within a day, the chicks know to snuggle in under mama, and to keep mama between them and the layers. Broodies should really puff up and get huge when something gets too close to the chicks. Usually with in 24 hours of hatching, they all have it figured out. However, that 12-24 hours while hatching can be tricky.

Mrs K

Before the hatch she would puff up when i reached in to pet her. She even pecked at me. When the other hen entered the coop she immediately puffed up and growled. But the other hen would get right in her face and eat the treats I put next to her. The broody would not peck at her. Every night the other hen slept in the nest box that was next to the one the broody was in.

After the hatch, while I was watching (I actually caught this on video) Earline came into the coop and started eating the chic feed. Buffy also started eating. Buffy is the broody one. In the meantime the little black chic was trying very hard to get under Buffy. Earline pecked at Buffy, then spotted the little black chic, picked it up and threw it. It happened so fast.

Now the black chic already had injuries, it looked like someone had pecked at her before and I wonder if that's why Buffy was not letting her under or protecting her.

I checked on Buffy this morning. I could hear the chics but not see them so I assume they are ok. I'm trying to just let them be.

Back
Top Bottom