Should I get some Mallards?? Share your pics!!

caral07

Songster
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Ruston Louisiana
I have been thinking about getting some Mallards, but I dont know anything about them or any other ducks. Any advice??? I would love to see some of your pic of yalls ducks to.

I have had mallards, and they are my favorites. They tend to be smaller than standard ducks and the eggs are good. Sweet things and very pretty. They do fly, unlike a lot of other domestic ducks, but I found mine never flew too much. You can always cut some of the wing feathers, it doesn't hurt them if you want. You really want to have some water for them, they really need a pond or a pool more than some other ducks, or that has been my experience anyway.

Last edited:
Mallards are nice ducks but I find them to be a little to flighty and frisky for me.But if you want them go ahead!Try buying duck food from the local feed store,if they don't have it just get some game bird food.Make sure its not medicated!They basically need the same care as chickens but require a lot more cleaning and food!A pond is not needed but at least give them some water to dunk there whole head in as it cleans out there nostrils.I am to lazy to type anymore so search through the whole duck section becouse lots of people have asked the same question.I personally recommend muscovy's becouse they are great free rangers and very sweet if you raise them right.

I have 4 Mallards (1 Drake and 3 Hens) along with my other Ducks. I find the Mallards are more skitterish than my other breeds however if I have a bag of peas with me they'll step up on my feet and holler for them LOL My Mallards are 11 months old, they're sweet but they really think they are too good for kiddie pools, they prefer our pond but do come up to the pen throughout the day for treats and a bite to eat, they also come up to lay their eggs and come up to the pen every afternoon between 3 and four to get supper. Once my ducks are all in the pen for supper I shut the gate on it and then at dusk I lock them all in the duck house until morning.

here are a few photos of mine:
2832_0408101552.jpg

2832_ducklingoutsideswim1.jpg

2832_ducklingunderwater.jpg

My Mallard Drake is a 5 weeks older than my Mallard Hens, here they are the in the brooder together:
2832_ittybittyandhisgirls2sm.jpg

here they are swimming together:
2832_mallardsswimming1.jpg

Here are my Ducks and 1 one of my Dogs in the pond this past summer..the temp that day was 100 and the humidity was unbearable.
2832_ducksndogsinpond.jpg

My Drake and 2 of the Hens in the pond
2832_mallarddrakengirlsonpond.jpg

Michelle

We have 3 Mallard hens and 2 Rouens. (The Rouens are just like Mallards in colouring, but they are much larger). I adore them. They are so sweet and gentle. They do like to fly a bit, but they LOVE the water and spend a good portion of their day flying in and out of their pool. One of the hens is very happy to be picked up held and she will sit in your lap quite contentedly. The other 2 are more skittish, but of course will do anything for food....
smile.png

Our sweet Price
66955_img_6154.jpg

Back
Top Bottom