should i go ahead and do it????

mine spend their night in a very large storage tub with part of the top cut out. i take them out in the mornings if i will be here they get the whole yard if we are gone they now get the run. but when its bed time they go right to their tub. i leave it outside. anyway they go to their tub fly up on it and we come in and do it all again the next day. i really wasnt ready for them to be out at night. i did put them out there in their tub but, i kept going out with a flash ligh to check on them. so we ended up bring them in. but they arent under a light while inside and havent been for a long time.

You could find some day old chicks and sneak them under her at night...remove the eggs and she will wake up to babies in the morning :) Just be there in case she decides she didn't want to be a mom afterall!
now if i could just figure out what to do about my broody hen that has no chance of hatching.

well the problem is i am going out of town monday. so would it be ok for her to sit while we are gone? rosey is still getting in the nest with petunia and laying her eggs. i got the eggs out this morning so there are none now. then i took her off the nest and put her in the yard.

She will be okay. The eggs won't be any good if she sits on them for several days though
sickbyc.gif

When mine go broody and I don't want them to be, I take the eggs and pitch them out into the yard each morning. It takes a couple days but they finally give up :)

I have three 8 1/2 Week Olds. My chicks spent thier first night outdoors (in thier coop of course) on Sunday Night. I was soooooo nervous to leave them, ater having had them tucked away safely in the laundry room for so long. But the coop was well made, the weather was warm through the night (no colder than 7 Degrees Celcius at its coldest) and they just couldnt fit in that darn XPEN brooder anymore. I had also picked up two 4 week olds on Saturday, and these poor babes werent given the special treatment the first chicks got. I put them in a cat carrier in the bottom of the Coop the same night. I was just hoping to warm them all up to eachother sooner rather than later, and figured this may help.

Anyhow, all my chicks have been doing reallllllyyyy well outside. I can tell they love being in the run during the day (which they always had, just a limited space at first. And my coop seems to keep them cozy. And they have learnt to get out on thier own already in the three nights they have been out there. In has proven to be a problem, but all the rumors about chickens being imobile at night are true. I have just been waiting until about 9pm when its almost dark, and walking right up and grabbing them in a pile and tossing them in the coop. If I did it when they were still alert it would take me foever to round them up in such a small space.

Back
Top Bottom