Should I handle my Birds everyday?

gabe4223

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 8, 2011
Montgomery County,Texas
My SO thinks that i should let them just get used to me being in the run with them before I handle them too much. I think they should be handled regularly. Whats your experience with handling them?

I can only go by what the kind folks here told me and that is handle them a lot if you want them to be tame and friendly.
smile.png

Right from the start we spent a lot of time with our little flock. We started by encouraging them to come to us - holding out handsful of corn or tasty little treats such as lettuce leaves. At first our arms were at full stretch, then we gradually enticed them closer and closer. Then we stroked them and finally picked them up (although one never allowed us to pick her up and another isn't so keen) Now they all come and eat from our hand; some will jump on our laps to get at treats, others won't. Some enjoy being picked up and cuddled, others don't. They've all got their own personalities, just like us.

When we hatched chicks, we did exactly the same thing with the same results. We kept two of the chicks - they all had exactly the same treatment but you can pick Punk up and she'll stay in your arms as long as you like, but her sister Rebecca doesn't enjoy being picked up and makes every effort to escape as fast as possible (so we let her go quickly).

By all means handle your chickens from the word go, but respect their wishes too.

Good luck.

handling them is best start very young and pick them up pet them even rub their feet i rubbed their beaks as babies so if i ever had a problem later on they would let me handle it. NOW you will get a mean one everyone has to have a mean hen lol you will say they are all doing great except that queen bee over there. we cant avoid it. my stinker is ginger she will take the skin right off of you was mean as a baby too. watch out for those types. in the run take a bucket flip it over sit down and feed them out of your hand they will get associated with you having goodies and run right to you when ever they see you.

We have levels of treats here, vegetarian leftovers
hmm.png
, rice & pasta
smile.png
and then the almighty meat and mealworms!!!
yippiechickie.gif

They only ever get the almighty treat when I hand feed them, so contact to me is made special and desirable. They think its the most wonderful thing in the world!
I buy my pullets at 6 weeks old and start just hand feeding, then when they are comfortable with that they only get to eat it if they let me stroke them, no pet = no treat. Then I move onto only feeding them the awesome treats when I'm holding them.

Now the hens are so keen they will fight to get prime position on my lap!!!!!!!!!!
D.gif

Good question!
I didn't have much of an idea of whether I should pet the chicks either, I thought I might hurt them
tongue.png

But when they arrived, the darned things were so stinkin' cute I couldn't keep my hands off...
lol.png
I found that if you handle them as chicks: take 'em out of the brooder while you're changing the little, that's what we'd do - they grow up more used to being around humans... for us it was hands on as soon as they arrived home. Nowadays, like Kaeta says, some like to be petted, some don't, but all come running when they see us now
lol.png

Yes! Mine are like little pets! They will sit in my lap and jump up on my shoulder! They love to snuggle up and be petted! They knock each other out of the way for first dibs
big_smile.png

I agree! Handle them and play with them a lot when they are babies. Out of my six pullets, I have ended up with two who are friendly and affectionate. My tamest one died two weeks ago or I would have had three. The Araucanas want nothing to do with being handled and will run away from me. One of the Australorps comes up to me, but does not want to be picked up.

A lot depends on their personalities. The two tame ones are outgoing and confident. One is the lead hen, and she is the tamest one I have now. The other is an Australorp I picked at the feed store because she got up and walked over to check me out. She is still very curious and bold.

Enjoy your chickens! They are lots of fun!

I handle all 8 several times a day. I have super friendly chickens!
love.gif
. Actually, I have 8 lap chickens.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom