Should i have chicks in the winter?

I need to know as a 1st yearer having chickens if I should have chicks in the winter or wait until spring next year to do it.
It all depends on your situation. Do you currently have chickens and is one broody? Or do you plan on getting chicks and raising them yourself?

I’m currently raising chicks and it’s about to be winter for me, they’re about 3 weeks old and night temps reach 40 or lower. They have a brooder plate but they’re still outdoors. I like raising in fall/winter because they’ll be ready to lay the moment spring comes, rather than getting chicks in spring and having to wait til mid-late summer

It would help if you added your location to your avatar thingie. Like "Michigan" if you live in Michigan, U.S.A. Queensland if you live in Queensland, Australia.

It all depends on your situation. Do you currently have chickens and is one broody? Or do you plan on getting chicks and raising them yourself?
I need to know as a 1st yearer having chickens if I should have chicks in the winter or wait until spring next year to do it.
Also i live in Western Canada and it gets almost -10 degrees celsius so a bit cold.

I have 3 silkies that are now 5 weeks old in a wood brooder in our living room. They aren't fully feathered yet and our lows are 20F/-7C. So I'll wait to put them out for another week or two, but then with a Cozy Coop radiant heater in the hutch of the temp coop. They can't go in the main coop as they'd get pecked to death. Today we're getting a high of 50F, so I'm going to put them out today for a while. I have to shovel first or hope it melts fast lol.

Back
Top Bottom