Should I help??

DelR

Chirping
Nov 17, 2020
So I am on Day 21 and when I woke up this morning, I saw an egg had pipped but nothing has happened in about 4-5 hours. I know I’m supposed to wait but I noticed a yellow/clear liquid that had come out when it pipped. I heard that it may have been too much humidity, but I have 1 chick going at it trying to get out as soon as possible, and another one cracking. Both have no liquid. Should I help or wait?

So I am on Day 21 and when I woke up this morning, I saw an egg had pipped but nothing has happened in about 4-5 hours. I know I’m supposed to wait but I noticed a yellow/clear liquid that had come out when it pipped. I heard that it may have been too much humidity, but I have 1 chick going at it trying to get out as soon as possible, and another one cracking. Both have no liquid. Should I help or wait?
Wait at least 12 hours, but 24 hours is better. I had one chick pip on Day 21, and did not fully come out until day 23.

i wait .. in my experience 'generally' speaking, it takes about 2 full days and up to 3 for the main hatch to occur .. then there can be a straggler or two .. keep an eye on them its the stragglers that are pipped or chirping and still in there that might actually need help and if you get to that point then ask one of the experts around here .. i dont want to be responsible for telling you how to handle it lol ..

i wait .. in my experience 'generally' speaking, it takes about 2 full days and up to 3 for the main hatch to occur .. then there can be a straggler or two .. keep an eye on them its the stragglers that are pipped or chirping and still in there that might actually need help and if you get to that point then ask one of the experts around here .. i dont want to be responsible for telling you how to handle it lol ..
Hi! So I have another silkie that has been trying to get out for about 6 hours now. It didn’t zip, it just went for it and is trying to push out of a hole that isn’t big enough. Should I peel some shell off? I’ve seen to wait if it’s zipping but since mine is not I’m concerned

Hi! So I have another silkie that has been trying to get out for about 6 hours now. It didn’t zip, it just went for it and is trying to push out of a hole that isn’t big enough. Should I peel some shell off? I’ve seen to wait if it’s zipping but since mine is not I’m concerned
No! Don't touch. The chick absorbs calcium from the shell on the last two days. It will get easier to push out after the calcium is absorbed and the shell gets thinner.

Back
Top Bottom