Should I just admit defeat?

Of course the price is... scary. But there are lots of options identical to this that come at a less terrifying price. I like this coop and seems to be a match for my girls
Yes, this would be a great size for your 7 chickens. Should be able to fit up to 10. If you can, it's always good to go bigger than your current flock, because, as you've seen, chicken math strikes and you may end up with extras :D

My only advice is, get the largest one you can build or afford. You can’t have too much room, but not enough is a problem. Especially if you live where it gets cold in the winter and your birds are spending the majority of their time indoors.

I just looked and see that you are from TN, so cold weather isn’t a problem for your birds. I’d still go as big as I can.

I do hope you understand that I am not in charge of this matter when it comes to coop upsizing and chicken selling, I only can suggest these things and see my opinion come as far as it can.
So minor living with parents scenario?
Was it wholly the parents idea and decision to get chickens,
both the original birds and the 4 new ones?
It's very difficult for us to give you solid advice in such a situation.

Our original flock had 4 SSs back in 2017. We lost 2 and added 10 BRs to our very large run, using a horse stall as a coop. We lost many of those on a shady day when the solar powered electric fence failed. So we had 4 layers, a brand new omlet chicken run and a snap loc. Then unexpectedly one of the BRs passed away within 4 hours of showing symptoms (we culled her she was dying quickly but painfully) then we had 3 layers- almost no egg income. Then our SS got very sick and stopped laying. We had 2 layers but 3 hens. We needed more layers so we placed an order for 3 chicks so our laying hens would be up to 6, and assuming that the SS would die, we thought we would have just 5 hens to deal with we received not 3 but 4 chicks in the mail and when our SS survived we had 2 more birds than originally expected. So now we have 7 chickens and a coop meant for 4.
It was completely of my parents descicion to get chickens the first time, I personally didn’t know anything about chickens and when I saw 4 brown chicks rather than the yellow chicks I thought I would see, I was confused. But I learned more over the past 3 years and this time, it was of my my whole family who decided to get chickens. I took my part and was the one who chose our breeds and hatchery. As the chickens are like pets to me and the family, it is like rehoming a dog or a cat.

Tonight as I was doing the last after dark chores, I passed by the coop and wanted to see where they were all sleeping, Indigo, my to perfect Orpington was in the coop on the roost (she went in there by herself!!!) while the other three were roosting on the branch ladder propped against the coop. i Didn’t put them in since I had my phone and an Apple (for the birthday horse) but I was at least satisfied that Indigo did a good thing. Should I lead myself to believe that the other 3 will catch on and follow the 4 other chickens into the coop? I hope that is the case, although I do like that they are not all squished in the coop, I’m glad they are sleeping where and as they wish

Ok, thanks that does sound good. what kind of “night light” might you recommend? We don’t have power reaching to the coop. The coop is enclosed in a large omlet chicken run which is impenetrable- my only concern is that the raccoons climb on the run at night, and I am afraid they will reach in and grab on of my babies while their sleeping. I am certainly not new to chickens and I would never let them stay out at night, however their coop run is quite safe (other than the crawly raccoons who can’t actually get in, I have not had an incident in two years, and the last time it happened was with the old run and coop)and I don’t feel a need to lock them inside the actual coop at night. my 3 old hens had no issues when learning to go in the coop- they actually started to go in by themselves. I’m going to take the branch out so that the babies can’t keep roosting on that, maybe that will encourage them to go in in their own.

Once again, do you have an idea of a good nightlight?
our coop is a snap lock coop- certainly not a good size for my 7 girls although my parents do not want to buy anything more so it’s what we have to work with.

We purchased this solar string. It provides just enough light in the coop at night. My only complaint about it, is that it is too long. We should've looked for a shorter strand. It charges great during the day. We wrapped it around the top of the coop so it provides just enough ambient light.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B3DJF4X/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We purchased this solar string. It provides just enough light in the coop at night. My only complaint about it, is that it is too long. We should've looked for a shorter strand. It charges great during the day. We wrapped it around the top of the coop so it provides just enough ambient light.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B3DJF4X/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We also purchased this and it too gave off enough light. We have since used this for a different purpose.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BJ8MZ8B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Dollar Tree has little solar lights. They even have ones that use 2 aa batteries for Halloween. Both will be $1.00 each.
I think you better start your Chicken "Wish list" for the holidays. Lol
Try your best to keep everyone safe. Get a trap and trap those raccoons as as possible. You do get ice cold freezing rain in TN.
Congratulations on your new Flock

Back
Top Bottom