Should I just admit defeat?

Coop is too small for the 7 birds, let alone a human ;)

Then time to sell a few birds.
How old are these birds, in weeks or months?
A 3 yro, 2 2 yros, and 4 14 week olds. I’m currently coop shopping, and with Christmas around the corner I think we might be able to save our little flock. We were not meaning to have 7, only 5. Our 3yro was sick and nearly died, and when she survived that upped the numbers to 6, then we received an extra which upped it to 7! While the coop is ok for 4-5 birds I wouldn’t say it’s ok for 7. I fully agree that rehoming would be better if we couldn’t up our coop size, but I think that I might have been able to salvage some hope- how are these coops?
could we go for something like this? Is it large enough? I’m saying the large or the medium (I am notsaying I want this coop exactly but I am asking if the sizes are ok)
A4E7ECAE-A294-4B6C-ACD6-4667EFB37BC4.jpeg

I do hope you understand that I am not in charge of this matter when it comes to coop upsizing and chicken selling, I only can suggest these things and see my opinion come as far as it can. I would not be able to fully promise that the coop I see fit is the coop we get, but my understanding is that this coop is not good enough for our chickens and I must Do what I canto fix the situation

Do you have their dimensions? It's hard to tell from the picture. My guess just from looking at them is that the small and medium are both too small, and the large may or may not be okay depending on the actual size, but my guess is that that might be too small for 7 as well.

Ok, thanks that does sound good. what kind of “night light” might you recommend? We don’t have power reaching to the coop. The coop is enclosed in a large omlet chicken run which is impenetrable- my only concern is that the raccoons climb on the run at night, and I am afraid they will reach in and grab on of my babies while their sleeping. I am certainly not new to chickens and I would never let them stay out at night, however their coop run is quite safe (other than the crawly raccoons who can’t actually get in, I have not had an incident in two years, and the last time it happened was with the old run and coop)and I don’t feel a need to lock them inside the actual coop at night. my 3 old hens had no issues when learning to go in the coop- they actually started to go in by themselves. I’m going to take the branch out so that the babies can’t keep roosting on that, maybe that will encourage them to go in in their own.

Once again, do you have an idea of a good nightlight?
our coop is a snap lock coop- certainly not a good size for my 7 girls although my parents do not want to buy anything more so it’s what we have to work with.

I went to walmart and got 2 solar spotlights for $12, the lumens are not too high to disturb their sleep and die out after about 2 hours but one of my girls stayed out and I couldnt find her until the next morning and they are always in the coop 30 minutes before it gets dark now. I go out and put their food up to discourage rodents and turn the hose off because I have well water I run a small stream from a hose all day so they constantly have fresh water. When I go out and colliect eggs and turn water off, put away food they basically start settling in on their own at that time. Solar piwered lights should do the trick if they are low lumens.

Didn't see that... Oops. Maybe that's why they don't want to go in, if it's too crowded?
I agree, the cieling is quite low for the high roosts, and even for the low ones- (if you look up “snap loc coop small” which is the smallest version-not the one I have- you will be shocked to see how tiny the ceiling hight is!) The 2 barred rocks sleep on the back roost on opposite ends, the SS sleeps on the center roost which is the same hight, in the middle of it, and the babies all sleep on the lowest roost spread out. Not at ALL big enough for when they grow!

Do you have their dimensions? It's hard to tell from the picture. My guess just from looking at them is that the small and medium are both too small, and the large may or may not be okay depending on the actual size, but my guess is that that might be too small for 7 as well.
Yeah it’s not super big, maybe ok for 5-6 birds. I’ll keep looking, it isn’t the best one I could find 🤷‍♀️

I agree, the cieling is quite low for the high roosts, and even for the low ones- (if you look up “snap loc coop small” which is the smallest version-not the one I have- you will be shocked to see how tiny the ceiling hight is!) The 2 barred rocks sleep on the back roost on opposite ends, the SS sleeps on the center roost which is the same hight, in the middle of it, and the babies all sleep on the lowest roost spread out. Not at ALL big enough for when they grow!
I will add that when you look up “walk in chicken coop” all you find are those tiny 6 foot long runs attached to micro sized coops

Yeah it’s not super big, maybe ok for 5-6 birds. I’ll keep looking, it isn’t the best one I could find 🤷‍♀️
How are your carpentry skills? It can be a lot cheaper to build something than to buy new, especially if you can find free or repurpose some of the materials. You can learn a lot of basic building skills on Youtube. You can use your existing small coop as a starting point... knock down one of the walls and build an extension out from it...

Do these 5x8 Quaker coops look ok? (The nest boxes r a little much and the price is kind of scary but it is kind of nice aesthetically)
C5FECC24-0FAF-4274-98B2-1BB40BFE20F6.jpeg
65AB8C1A-CEF3-4EF7-993F-A49808ACC6BC.jpeg

Do these 5x8 Quaker coops look ok? (The nest boxes r a little much and the price is kind of scary but it is kind of nice aesthetically)View attachment 2343747View attachment 2343761
I like it has a chicken door, I can attach that to the Omlet chicken run, and take the snap-loc out to use as a hospital coop if I must in the future. Omlet offers lots of accessories safely attach you coop to the run without letting predators sneak in

Back
Top Bottom