Should I just admit defeat?

Ok, thanks that does sound good. what kind of “night light” might you recommend? We don’t have power reaching to the coop. The coop is enclosed in a large omlet chicken run which is impenetrable- my only concern is that the raccoons climb on the run at night, and I am afraid they will reach in and grab on of my babies while their sleeping. I am certainly not new to chickens and I would never let them stay out at night, however their coop run is quite safe (other than the crawly raccoons who can’t actually get in, I have not had an incident in two years, and the last time it happened was with the old run and coop)and I don’t feel a need to lock them inside the actual coop at night. my 3 old hens had no issues when learning to go in the coop- they actually started to go in by themselves. I’m going to take the branch out so that the babies can’t keep roosting on that, maybe that will encourage them to go in in their own.

Once again, do you have an idea of a good nightlight?
our coop is a snap lock coop- certainly not a good size for my 7 girls although my parents do not want to buy anything more so it’s what we have to work with.

A battery powered lantern, or even just a flashlight, will do the trick. Once they’re settled in, remove the tight or turn it off. It took mine all of 2 nights to get the hint, and now go in without the light.

I couldn’t do that, I have a barn cat who would be killed by the traps. It would be much to dangerous to even attempt it though because this cat could easily get back out even if she was kept inside. This omlet run has never had any predators hack it but they always try, it worries me that the chicks could be stolen through the bars- even if they don’t fit they could be squeezed through. We also have rabbits and baby rabbits, who make their nests adjacent to the coop so any trap would kill them instead.

There are special raccoon traps that the raccoons put their 'hand' inside to get the bait and the trap closes on their hand. It's the only kind that works for us. We had 'live traps' and our cat got stuck inside, but no raccoons (they're too smart). These 'hand' traps work great! We've used special raccoon bait and we've used marshmallows. Both work, and the cat isn't at all interested. Only downside is that you then have to kill the raccoon yourself.

When our latest batch of chicks started getting big enough that they free-ranged, we initially had the same problem getting them to roost in the coop. They preferred the top of the nearby fence. I started going out after they were already on the fence and somewhat sleepy, and gently picked them up, took them into the coop, and put them onto their roost. I only had to do that a couple of times and they got the idea.

For the past month and a half I have been moving my chicks from their favorite branch roost into the hen house, every night without missing a night. The refuse to go in the hen house by themselves, should I just admit defeat? What can I do to get them in the hen house?
Could there be a mean hen in the house. We have had a big bunch that one hen was picking on so they refused to go in. We gave the hen to a friend and no further problems.

Ok, thanks that does sound good. what kind of “night light” might you recommend? We don’t have power reaching to the coop. The coop is enclosed in a large omlet chicken run which is impenetrable- my only concern is that the raccoons climb on the run at night, and I am afraid they will reach in and grab on of my babies while their sleeping. I am certainly not new to chickens and I would never let them stay out at night, however their coop run is quite safe (other than the crawly raccoons who can’t actually get in, I have not had an incident in two years, and the last time it happened was with the old run and coop)and I don’t feel a need to lock them inside the actual coop at night. my 3 old hens had no issues when learning to go in the coop- they actually started to go in by themselves. I’m going to take the branch out so that the babies can’t keep roosting on that, maybe that will encourage them to go in in their own.

Once again, do you have an idea of a good nightlight?
our coop is a snap lock coop- certainly not a good size for my 7 girls although my parents do not want to buy anything more so it’s what we have to work with.

Omlet sells a battery-powered nightlight.
Does your coop have a roost? If not, put one in there.

How old are they? Once I put my older feathered birds into a pen the learn the routine quickly. The longest ever was a week the shortest was one time showing them the roost and locking them up. I have a large yard and a wooden house on legs about 4'x8' with nest boxes at one end and the roosts at an angle down the middle. It gives them three roost bars about 5-6 feet long.
14 weeks and have been living outside since 6 weeks. We’re given access to the coop at about 9 weeks and I have been fighting them to go in the coop since! I’m looking for a larger coop rn since it isn’t large enough for them all

Let them have a nightlight on a timer. Chicks are afraid to enter a dark coop.

Never let them outside at night as predators will easily find a way to get them.

Does your coop have good ventilation? Stuffy coops will also be avoided.
Ours would line up on the ramp and wouldn’t go in without their night light.( Then we use A heat lamp bulb in winter) and they won’t fly off the roost in their run if it’s dark cuz they can’t see the ground I reckon.

Are they protected from the weather and predators when out on the branch? Is this branch in a chicken run or out where they free range? If it's in the run then remove the branch. Is your coop ventilated enough? Large enough? Can they see the roosting bar in the evening to get on it?
I have put a dog kennel that I covered with chicken wire in the big coop. I will be leaving it there with my new chickens for about 2 weeks. Then I will start letting them out with the rest of the chickens. That way they will know where to go roost. Once they start roosting with the others , I will remove the kennel and start over again with my new hens.

Back
Top Bottom