Should I keep them separated?

JustClucky

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 16, 2011
TX
I have two 4 week old red stars and we just got 2 ameraucanas who are the same age. One of the reds has been attacking the newbies and they've just been cowering in the corners of the brooder. I've removed the red who keeps attacking and when I do, the newbies are SO much happier. I know this is just chicken business and it's hard to watch it go down but I don't know if I should keep the troublemaker in a separate brooder for a while or if I should just put them together and make them all just get over it. lol Help!

My friends had a similar problem. Their new batch of chickens got picked on by the old ones. To solve this they put the new chickens in a smaller container and placed it inside the area the other chickens were in. The chickens were able to get used to each other without having a chance to attack the other chickens. Now they live together quite peacefully.

Your welcome and good luck!
smile.png

Is it warm enough where you live that you could turn the heat lamp off for a little while. You could try reintroducing them to each other in the dark. That is what is suggested with new chickens....maybe it would work with your chicks. Good luck!

I found after seperating them that, their is always 1 who wants 2 rule so when that happens i take her out and put her in a pen alone 4 a couple days and now she becomes the New girl and then it all changes and She becomes the newbe so they r all more mellow

Back
Top Bottom