Should I keep them together?

ragingowl77

Chirping
Mar 21, 2022
Southeast Georgia
We've had our chickens for about 3 months and I finally finished building the coop. We have 9 Sapphire Gems and 2 Wyandottes. The 2 breeds have been in separate brooders the whole time. Now that they are together, the Wyandottes are getting bullied. We knew the pecking order would need to be established, but they look very distressed, huddled away from the others with their mouths opened. Do we need to just let the pecking order get established or should we take them out?

You could try putting the Wyandottes in a crate for a few weeks so they can see, but not hurt, each other. Also, is the coop big enough for them all?

You could try putting the Wyandottes in a crate for a few weeks so they can see, but not hurt, each other. Also, is the coop big enough for them all?
From what I read, both the Wyandottes and Sapphire Gems are fine with 4 sq. ft. per bird, so I needed 44 sq. ft. The coop is 55 sq. ft., so there should be enough room. I'm going to be making the run next week, and that will have almost 20 sq. ft. per bird, so they won't need to be in the coop much. When you say put the in a crate, do you mean put the crate inside the coop? We had the 2 Wyandottes in a plastic bin with hardware cloth on top. Should I put that in the coop? Here's a pic of the coop:

Attachments

• 20220528_142905.jpg
    20220528_142905.jpg
    894.8 KB · Views: 2
When you say put the in a crate, do you mean put the crate inside the coop? We had the 2 Wyandottes in a plastic bin with hardware cloth on top. Should I put that in the coop?
Were the two groups in visual contact with one another the entire time growing up? How old are the birds?

What does the bin look like? Unless you cut ample windows all around it, it's unlikely to help with integration. The chickens must be able to see each other as well as hear, smell, etc. in order to get used to each other.

Were the two groups in visual contact with one another the entire time growing up? How old are the birds?

What does the bin look like? Unless you cut ample windows all around it, it's unlikely to help with integration. The chickens must be able to see each other as well as hear, smell, etc. in order to get used to each other.
They weren't able to see each other. I think I'll make a divider wall in the coop.

Or you might just let the pair be re-homed. I always try and solve for peace in the flock, and really once this gets established it can be very difficult to stop, and it ruins your enjoyment of the flock.

Sometimes you get birds that just do not work together.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom