Should I let broody Turken sit on eggs?

Kurczaklover

Songster
Dec 3, 2021
We are in NW Florida, with a broody Turken. We are contemplating letting her have a mix of everyones eggs as our new rooster has been busy. I am a little concerned about the time of year. Our weather has been extremely mild so far this winter, but January and February are typically our coldest months. Would we be setting up for failure?

Peeps up north in my area have had winter hatches successfully under broody hens,, and were brooded with hen in outdoor coops. In your location,,, the cold winter temps equal to our mild winter temps.
BTW,,,, I like your user name. :thumbsup ,, and you signed on to BYC on my moms B-day. :frow

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

We are in NW Florida, with a broody Turken. We are contemplating letting her have a mix of everyones eggs as our new rooster has been busy. I am a little concerned about the time of year. Our weather has been extremely mild so far this winter, but January and February are typically our coldest months. Would we be setting up for failure?
I doubt it, I’m in middle west Florida and it’s super yucky windy rn. But alot of my neighbors have hatched chicks now, and the mortslity rates were very high. Good luck and happy new year!

Peeps up north in my area have had winter hatches successfully under broody hens,, and were brooded with hen in outdoor coops. In your location,,, the cold winter temps equal to our mild winter temps.
BTW,,,, I like your user name. :thumbsup ,, and you signed on to BYC on my moms B-day. :frow

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
Thank you so much for your input. Our winters are typically inconsistent, so hoping you are correct. Thrilled someone knows what the name means!

I like to post this link to a thread where someone in Michigan let a broody hen hatch this time of year, in January. It might help you put things in perspective.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/broody-in-michigan-winter.947046/

Would we be setting up for failure?
It can be a little harder in winter, but what you have isn't what a lot of people think of as true winter. You are always at risk when you let a broody hatch eggs but where you are I don't think your risks would be that high.

I don't know what experience you have with broody hens or how many eggs you would typically set. When I set eggs under a broody in late spring or summer I typically set a dozen eggs. I did it once this time of the year in Arkansas but only set 8 eggs. The chicks grow fast and I wanted the hen to be able to cover all the chicks at the same time as they grew so I only set eight eggs. Setting fewer eggs is the only concession I made to winter. All the eggs didn't hatch which is common but she had no problems raising the ones that did hatch.

I like to post this link to a thread where someone in Michigan let a broody hen hatch this time of year, in January. It might help you put things in perspective.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/broody-in-michigan-winter.947046/

It can be a little harder in winter, but what you have isn't what a lot of people think of as true winter. You are always at risk when you let a broody hatch eggs but where you are I don't think your risks would be that high.

I don't know what experience you have with broody hens or how many eggs you would typically set. When I set eggs under a broody in late spring or summer I typically set a dozen eggs. I did it once this time of the year in Arkansas but only set 8 eggs. The chicks grow fast and I wanted the hen to be able to cover all the chicks at the same time as they grew so I only set eight eggs. Setting fewer eggs is the only concession I made to winter. All the eggs didn't hatch which is common but she had no problems raising the ones that did hatch.
That makes sense. I am from Michigan, which is why I live in Florida, lol. I was thinking about giving her 6 eggs, but I am just going to give her a day or two first, as our temps have dropped 40 degrees since yesterday and thinking that may resolve the broody bit on its own.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom