Should I paint both sides of plywood?

CrazyCatLady76

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Hazard
If I'm doing a double-walled coop, do both sides of each wall need to be painted? I know the sides that will be exposed to weather and chicken poop and any exposed edges need to have a couple-three coats, but what about the sides that will be inside the walls and covered by the framing?

Just the outside that is going to get the weather. The inside is just a personal prefrence, but it will help with cleaning and appearance. One thing you might consider on the outside, if you used actual plywood is using caulk on the butt edges of the plywood. The edges are where water gets in and then swells out and starts to deteriate.

Quote:
So do I. It's not necessary to paint the inside (unless your chickens request interior design!).

My first coop was painted on the inside and had a wall paper border of chickens around the top. For some reason people found this hilarious. Anyway, I will be painting the inside of my new coop for ease of cleaning. I want to be able to hose it off, so I will be painting it inside and out. We will paint everything before we build it though as it is a pain to paint it afterwards.

Thanks guys! That makes me feel a lot better. It's hard enough to get the exposed bits painted when it pours rain every day I have off and the chickens are occupying the garage, so I really wasn't looking forward to trying to paint both sides of the siding and interior walls.

One question. Is it plywood or OSB? OSB is the "flakey" type of plywood that has chips of wood. If it is osb no matter what you do to it it will come apart in the weather.

Back
Top Bottom