Should I paint the inside of the coop to weather proof it?

Pics

Skyla

Chirping
Aug 10, 2017
Northern Wisconsin
Hello,
Our coop is insulated so we have very thin plywood covering all the insulation inside the coop. My question is, do we need to weatherproof the plywood so it doesn't hold moisture, get moldy over time, or warp? For the outside we used plywood as well and I used an exterior stain that water and weather proofs it. If I were to paint the inside I would use the same stain. Is this necessary or am I just making more work for myself? Originally we used very cheap panelling for the inside (admittedly a terrible decision in hindsight) and after a few days it was incredibly warped from the moisture and we took it down. I am afraid the plywood might do the same. It hasn't yet but who knows along with time. Especially with the moisture from the chickens breath during winter or their wet poop on the walls. Thanks for any help!
IMG_0392.jpg

If mold grows inside your coop then you have an issue with the basic design of the coop. Ideally you should have 1 square foot of vent that is never closed for each chicken. That should prevent any moisture build up in the coop and prevent any mold. You need to vent the moisture a chicken makes from breathing and pooping out of that coop or you will have awfully cold chickens this winter. A dry chicken is a warm chicken.

The inside of my 6 year old coop is unpainted. I have never had any mold. I do have 10 square feet of vent area for 5 chickens.

If mold grows inside your coop then you have an issue with the basic design of the coop. Ideally you should have 1 square foot of vent that is never closed for each chicken. That should prevent any moisture build up in the coop and prevent any mold. You need to vent the moisture a chicken makes from breathing and pooping out of that coop or you will have awfully cold chickens this winter. A dry chicken is a warm chicken.

The inside of my 6 year old coop is unpainted. I have never had any mold. I do have 10 square feet of vent area for 5 chickens.

I think we have enough ventilation, or I hope we do. My coop is 6x7 with 2 decent sized vents up high in the front in back (picture below). There is also 2 large windows that can open, however I plan on keeping those closed in the winter for warmth reasons however it will allow plenty of airflow in the summer. Are the 2 vents enough for my coop? I also read the painting/protecting the inside of the coop will help against any wood parasites that decide to live on the wood. Have you ever had any problems with that?
IMG_0394.jpg

I painted the inside of my coop with a good exterior paint so that I would be better to clean.
Same here. I painted it white to maximize whatever available daylight there will be in the winter, as I won't be adding any light. I painted three coats so I should be able to clean the surface easily. So far I haven't need to.

I think we have enough ventilation, or I hope we do. My coop is 6x7 with 2 decent sized vents up high in the front in back (picture below). There is also 2 large windows that can open, however I plan on keeping those closed in the winter for warmth reasons however it will allow plenty of airflow in the summer. Are the 2 vents enough for my coop? I also read the painting/protecting the inside of the coop will help against any wood parasites that decide to live on the wood. Have you ever had any problems with
Whether you have enough vents depends on how many chickens you are keeping in that coop. As I said earlier, it is suggested that you have 1 square foot of vent area that is never closed for every chicken. Measuring your vents and considering the number of birds you have should give you an idea as to whether you have enough vent area. How many chickens do you have?

To give you an example, I have an 8' by 6' coop. I have 2 1' by 3' vents. Also have a 2' by 2' vent and a 1' by 1' vent. This coop was built for 12 chickens but I am only keeping 5 now.

I will add that my coop is not insulated and I live in Montana. Have never found a need to have it insulated. I have always felt that insulation is just a nice warm place for mice to spend the winter. Chickens do well in winter if they have a well ventilated coop and are not subject to drafts and wind. In other words, vent out all that moisture and give them a place where no wind blows on them.

I have never had an issue with wood parasites. Coop is about 6 years old.

I also liked Kafen's suggestion. The temperature sending unit I have in the coop also checks the humidity. Always nice to know the temperature and humidity in the coop by checking the base unit on my desk.

I think we have enough ventilation, or I hope we do. My coop is 6x7 with 2 decent sized vents up high in the front in back (picture below). There is also 2 large windows that can open, however I plan on keeping those closed in the winter for warmth reasons however it will allow plenty of airflow in the summer. Are the 2 vents enough for my coop? I also read the painting/protecting the inside of the coop will help against any wood parasites that decide to live on the wood. Have you ever had any problems with that?
View attachment 2359640
Tha'ts probably not gong to be enough.
Might think about opening up the soffit area,

1601929727355.png

what does this are look look like from outside?

This works well here:
1601929794800.png

Back
Top Bottom