should I pull this scab off?

Pics

CoriM

Crowing
Jun 6, 2019
I have a very large pekin and she's been limping for about over a month. I don't think it started with a scab, because I remember inspecting her feet right away and thinking she must have strained her leg. But she developed a scab soon after I noticed the limp. I've been soaking her twice a day, applying triple antibiotic and PRID, and keeping it bandaged probably 80% of the time for the past couple of weeks. At one point I picked off what you can see in the center area of the scab. I didn't find a kernel and it just bled a tiny bit at the edges, then quickly scabbed over again. Is this definitely bumble or could it just be a callous? It seems to be growing and is a little red - maybe a little bloody - around the edges if the bandage is left off for several hours. Should I keep soaking and bandaging or should I try to pull the whole thing off? The scab seems fairly attached and soft due to the ointments and wrapping
IMG_1352.JPG
. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have a very large pekin and she's been limping for about over a month. I don't think it started with a scab, because I remember inspecting her feet right away and thinking she must have strained her leg. But she developed a scab soon after I noticed the limp. I've been soaking her twice a day, applying triple antibiotic and PRID, and keeping it bandaged probably 80% of the time for the past couple of weeks. At one point I picked off what you can see in the center area of the scab. I didn't find a kernel and it just bled a tiny bit at the edges, then quickly scabbed over again. Is this definitely bumble or could it just be a callous? It seems to be growing and is a little red - maybe a little bloody - around the edges if the bandage is left off for several hours. Should I keep soaking and bandaging or should I try to pull the whole thing off? The scab seems fairly attached and soft due to the ointments and wrappingView attachment 2333381. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Noooooo, not a scab- baaad bumble foot, go to the link that was attached in @Chickenlover0810 s post

NOT A SCAB! She needs immediate attention. That is a VERY BAD CASE OF BUMBLEFOOT. Defer to the links that have been posted.

NOT A SCAB! She needs immediate attention. That is a VERY BAD CASE OF BUMBLEFOOT. Defer to the links that have been posted.
I agree, I know it isn’t easy to notice a mild case of bumble foot, but please never let it get this bad- if you see her limping, immediately do something! This is really serious and, as I have never had to deal with bumble foot, I wouldn’t know how difficult it is, but it requires immediate bumble-foot surgery! I think that Gold Shaw Farm, posted a video of them giving their duck bumble foot surgery, you can watch that, and then some videos from people who really know what they are doing.

I agree, I know it isn’t easy to notice a mild case of bumble foot, but please never let it get this bad- if you see her limping, immediately do something! This is really serious and, as I have never had to deal with bumble foot, I wouldn’t know how difficult it is, but it requires immediate bumble-foot surgery! I think that Gold Shaw Farm, posted a video of them giving their duck bumble foot surgery, you can watch that, and then some videos from people who really know what they are doing.
I’m going to add, that the surgery is not a one person job and requires to people. If you have an avian vet near you, they might know how to do this better than you. If you want to go the route the duck might recover better depending on the Vets skill level with treating this. Do any of your other ducks show a sign of bumble foot? It isn’t a contagious thing but if one has it there is obviously a chance another duck COULD get it

Thanks all for your replies. I figured it's bumblefoot and I've treated my ducks for bumblefoot before, and also been to the vet for it. This scab grew very quickly and I've just never treated a scab that is quite this big. I was just wondering if someone wanted to weigh in on whether I should pull the scab right now or continue soaking. But soaking doesn't seem to be helping me at this point so I guess I should try to get the scab off.

When I first saw her limping there was no scab - I checked right away. A few days later I noticed a little scab and started applying prid. Then I moved to bandages and soaking but it's just growing. I've skipped that process for a few days when I was out of town last weekend, but otherwise she's been getting twice daily care.

When I first saw her limping there was no scab - I checked right away. A few days later I noticed a little scab and started applying prid. Then I moved to bandages and soaking but it's just growing. I've skipped that process for a few days when I was out of town last weekend, but otherwise she's been getting twice daily care.
Hmm. Surgery is required then, since I have never dealt with this I wouldn’t know if those treatments really work, but from a stand point that they should, I don’t know why they aren’t!

Back
Top Bottom