Should I remove the hatched chick from the incubator?

Zayan

Chirping
Oct 9, 2020
Hey. Just hatched a baby silkie chicken. He keeps knocking over the eggs that haven't even started to hatch and he is trying to jump over the wall that protects him from falling into the water compartment. He hatched yesterday at night and he is not completely dry yet but I was thinking of taking him out so he doesnt jump over and get himself drowned. Is this advisable? I could do it fast so humidity and heat does not escape. I have 3 other eggs in the incubator which haven't even piped yet. Its day 21 btw. I would really appreciate some advise. Thanks!

Hey. Just hatched a baby silkie chicken. He keeps knocking over the eggs that haven't even started to hatch and he is trying to jump over the wall that protects him from falling into the water compartment. He hatched yesterday at night and he is not completely dry yet but I was thinking of taking him out so he doesnt jump over and get himself drowned. Is this advisable? I could do it fast so humidity and heat does not escape. I have 3 other eggs in the incubator which haven't even piped yet. Its day 21 btw. I would really appreciate some advise. Thanks!
If the other eggs are not pipped, take her out.

Keep the top off as little as possible and quickly but carefully fix any damage she caused

If the other eggs are not pipped, take her out.

Keep the top off as little as possible and quickly but carefully fix any damage she caused
Thanks for the reply. He isn't dry completely yet... Should I still remove him? And it is day 21 and the other eggs haven't piped yet. Is this concerning?

Thanks for the reply. He isn't dry completely yet... Should I still remove him? And it is day 21 and the other eggs haven't piped yet. Is this concerning?
The chick should be dry enough.

Wait until day 22 and if there is no action, check for signs of life in the eggs-- candle and look for them moving inside the eggs and tap on the egg gently to see if you hear chirping.

I hope you get more to hatch!

i remove them as they hatch or as i notice theres more running around in there ... never had any problems, they say not to do it, but 'thats' not the reason for a failed hatch imo, obviously if none of mine have died at hatch because of it lol .. what i do though is i have a brooder box set up in my house closeby thats already warm, if theyre wet put them right under the warm spot of the light and theyll usually zonk out right thereand sleep off that harrowing egg escape thing lol, then wake up fluffy ... yeah i think alot of times what happens in a 'forced air' incubator is they get cold as hell .. think about it, theyre wet, in a wind tunnel of air .. there is a thing called wind chill factor and when theyre cold they run around when first hatched looking for warmth .. if you put them in a still warm spot under a light you'll see theyll calm right down and pass out ..

You can take him out now so he can begin to eat and drink. Just make sure your brooder is at least 90 f. Jumping around the eggs is normal and won’t really affect them but he should be taken out now

You can take him out now so he can begin to eat and drink. Just make sure your brooder is at least 90 f. Jumping around the eggs is normal and won’t really affect them but he should be taken out now
Thanks so much. One more thing. Here is a pic of my DIY brooder. I placed a thermometer on top of an object the same hight as the chick, and the temperature is 90 degrees with the heat lamp right above it. Is this a good temperature?

Attachments

• IMG_4157.jpeg
    IMG_4157.jpeg
    318.1 KB · Views: 8
Thanks so much. One more thing. Here is a pic of my DIY brooder. I placed a thermometer on top of an object the same hight as the chick, and the temperature is 90 degrees with the heat lamp right above it. Is this a good temperature?
Yes that is fine. The chick will sleep close to the light when it is cold and when it is too hot it will sleep where it is comfortable. One way to tell if the temperture is warm enough is to listen to the chicks. If they are pipping a lot they are too cold. When they are comfortable they will be quiet. They will eat and drink and then sleep. One more thing it looks like your watered doesn’t have the bottle attached because you don’t need a lot of water but you should have it on because it will keep the chick from getting wet when it walks over it

Yes that is fine. The chick will sleep close to the light when it is cold and when it is too hot it will sleep where it is comfortable. One way to tell if the temperture is warm enough is to listen to the chicks. If they are pipping a lot they are too cold. When they are comfortable they will be quiet. They will eat and drink and then sleep. One more thing it looks like your watered doesn’t have the bottle attached because you don’t need a lot of water but you should have it on because it will keep the chick from getting wet when it walks over it
Thanks for the help I appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom