should I stay or should I go now?

Quote:
OK #3 Wins, you guys are awesome!! #3 sends you much
love.gif

Good choice!
clap.gif

Quote:
This is exactly what my DH said, "animals know when one of their kind is unhealthy" For breeding purposes... #3 is probably not the best.

Unhealthy is not only a breeding concern. He might not live very long, if he really is unhealthy, and/or the others might simply never accept him. I find it painful to watch when there's one that seems to be disliked by all. It's very hard on them, being in captivity, with no choice but to live with this flock.

How does it affect the evolution of chickens if I keep the dummy because he is cute? We want a breeding flock, but with 17 hens from 7 breeds we will end up with mutts anyway. One concern is #3 doesn't look cold hardy, and we have lows below zero in the winter.

If you are going to breed I would not keep the social misfit, because he can pass on that trait. Temperament/personality is largely hereditary, as is susceptibility to certain illnesses. So, whatever is the cause of his low social standing, I would think he could pass it on to his offspring. Breed one with the physical and behavioral characteristics you want to see in the offspring.

As for vulnerability of the single comb to frostbite, yes, that could be an issue. The males are most at risk because their combs are larger than those of females. I didn't think it got that cold in NC, but certainly here in MA, I tend to avoid single comb birds. Unless you plan to heat the coop - then you might be OK with single combs.

I have been successful in teaching a rooster to not attack me. But I was not able to teach that rooster to not attack my wife or any other human being. I would get rid of the aggressive one. Why put others at risk if you don't have to even if you can train him to not attack you? I do believe a tendency toward aggressiveness can be hereditary. Another argument to not allow him to breed.

What you described with the first rooster's behavior is simply dominant rooster behavior. Finding food for them, taking care of the flock, and all that. If the non-dominant roosters tried that, he would see that as a threat to his dominance and beat them up. You have no idea how the others will behave when they are dominant until they are dominant.

I pretty much agree with Janinepeters on the red one and breeding a chicken with temperament/personality issues.

I have single combed chickens and it occasionally, but not often, gets below zero Fahrenheit here. I don't have frostbite issues in an uninsulated, unheated, large, well-ventilated coop. But a single comb does put them more at risk for frostbite. While it is not an overriding concern for me, it is something to consider. If everything else were equal, it could sway my decision.

You will do whatever you will do. But this is my opinion. Good luck!

For all the reasons above, I'd go with #1. He has proven to be the best for the flock and if he only bit you once, just the other day, then he's not a mean guy and can be brought around, in my opinion.

I would not pass down the "meanness" gene down to his chicks. Lordy, we know that from experience, when you keep a rank and foul tempered roo, you can be sure he will pass that trait down to his chicks. It all boils down to the breed because some breeds like the Shamo would expect to be nasty.

I would not pick one or three either, one has meanness and his comb looks odd, no leg feathers so poor example of his breed. Three, not socially acceptable in the flock, there is something wrong, he will end up dead or forever trying to get up to the rank of pecking orders or a poor breeder. I would not pick a "cute", "underdog" or "loser" in the flock for a primary roo.

Number two is the best example out of the three. He has the better example of the breed.

Back
Top Bottom