Should I take hens eggs away ?!

kimskolfield

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
My hen managed to gather 14 eggs three have hatched in the last couple of days will she still look after them properly whilst still sitting on the other eggs ? Is there a time when I should take them away or she stop sitting on them ? In theory some of the eggs won't be ready to hatch for another week so should I just be patient ! I'm just worried she has not taken them for food and water!

She'll leave the nest soon, but until then leave the eggs with her. Do you have a bator or another broody you can put the eggs with? This is the problem with staggered hatches. You lose chicks. Never let a broody keep gathering eggs after a day or so from when the first egg starts incubation.

She'll leave the nest soon, but until then leave the eggs with her. Do you have a bator or another broody you can put the eggs with? This is the problem with staggered hatches. You lose chicks. Never let a broody keep gathering eggs after a day or so from when the first egg starts incubation.
Ditto Dat^^^

Best not to feed in the nest.... what goes in, must come out and will contaminate the remaining eggs.
She'll get off the nest to show the chicks where to eat and drink and that will end the incubation.

Back
Top Bottom