Should I take the hatched chick from the broody hen? Staggered hatch

I read something about one drop of ivermectin per chick somewhere, but you would have to confirm that...
Got my hands on some Ivermectin Drops 1% which I should have had from the start. Will dilute it down for the chicks but looking forward to putting it to use.

Mama hen has been amazing since she got her chicks back. She spent a long time teaching them different things, mainly foraging, but took them out for a long walk and some sunbathing :) They also got to say hello to the rest of the family.

20210529_154108.jpg

Just to see what she'd do, for a few hours, I placed three training eggs where she nested the last 3 weeks, and she ignored them completely.

Ivermectin is not water-soluble, so you cannot dilute it down.

The dose for 1% ivermectin is 0.05 ml per pound of body weight orally.
I plan on using USP grade PG (Propylene Glycol) to dilute it. I have a gallon of it here as it's also used for making vape juice. Would that be ok? Link is the exact one I already have.

If it's labeled for use *on* poultry it is fine. If it's labeled for use on poultry barn cages, etc, I think I would dilute it.
it's labeled as a "surface" spray so will need to dilute, but don't know by how much. Need to do more reading.

By the way, would using Ivermectin and Permethrin together on the birds be overkill or acceptable? Eggs would be binned for the duration of the treatment.

Ordered the Permethrin as I want to use it as a surface spray anyway.

Ivermectin is not water-soluble, so you cannot dilute it down.

The dose for 1% ivermectin is 0.05 ml per pound of body weight orally.
Orally?? Are you sure? What I used was external use only. I think there are different kinds. Let me know if you would like a pic of the container I used. Be careful!

So happy mama has taken her babies!!!! I’m doing a happy dance for you. 🥰

Orally?? Are you sure? What I used was external use only. I think there are different kinds. Let me know if you would like a pic of the container I used. Be careful!

So happy mama has taken her babies!!!! I’m doing a happy dance for you. 🥰
no the one I have coming is external use, back of the neck.

Correction: just reading, it can be given orally too.

She's so chilled now, different zone different behavior. A first for me and so nice to watch. 😊

Quick update:

From the incubator where 4 eggs remained, around 6pm yesterday one hatched with a further two eggs pipped. At around midnight I tucked that one under the hen and she didn't mind. Early hours of this morning, the other two hatched. I let them stay in the incubator for around 9 hours and then whilst the hen was out of the brood box with her clutch, I added the two new ones and slowly steered some of the other chicks back into the box.

Mama hen walked back in not really paying attention to the two new sunbathing at the entrance. Closed the door and opened the roof lid to let some sun in. You can imagine where most gathered...the corner with the direct sunlight.

1 remaining egg and 11 chicks with mama in the brooder.
Almost ready for the happy dance! :wee

04e4841cc6c9eeb8cac0126c400babb0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom