@aart and @azygous while I definitely am guilty of new mom syndrome, catalyzed by an impending trip, sadly, my hunches have turned into something: poor Glory's crop slowed to a halt. The diarrhea with undigested grass continued for a while, but she seemed otherwise fine. However, a couple days ago, I noticed I could feel her crop first thing in the morning (before access to food/water). It wasn't huge, not even remotely large, but I could feel its shape almost like it was dilated a bit, or its walls were stiff. Again, she was acting great, so I monitored, but it only worsened each morning--getting a little bigger each time.

Yesterday I brought her in. She was still pooping--watery, but containing fecal matter to suggest some stuff is still getting through. Over the course of the day, her crop ballooned and felt more water-filled, and her poops became lest poop-filled. I though sour crop, but then this morning, her crop felt hard, fleshy, about probably the size of a golf ball. Is it an impacted or sour crop, or both? What can I do to best treat this aggressively? I'm leaving in two days.... :hit

Also, this started vaguely around when she was dewormed. Could it be an obstruction from that? Or more likely something to do with all the grass I was seeing in her poop? In any case, any advice on how to get her feeling better is MUCH appreciated!

Thankfully, I can report her mood is bright/interactive, energy seems normal, and she is still interested in food and water--signs, I hope, that there's still a chance of a turnaround.

Yes, it absolutely could be a blockage caused by the worms dying in her intestines and not flushing out. This can often occur when there's a heavy worm load. It can cause serious trouble.

What I suggest is oil in a molasses flush to lubricate and flush her system. Mix one teaspoon of molasses in one-fouth cup of warm water with two teaspoons of olive oil or coconut oil mixed in well. See if she will drink it on her own. It tastes sweet so she probably will. If not, you will need to syringe it into her crop. Like this:
upload_2019-3-15_10-22-30.jpeg

Yes, it absolutely could be a blockage caused by the worms dying in her intestines and not flushing out. This can often occur when there's a heavy worm load. It can cause serious trouble.

What I suggest is oil in a molasses flush to lubricate and flush her system. Mix one teaspoon of molasses in one-fouth cup of warm water with two teaspoons of olive oil or coconut oil mixed in well. See if she will drink it on her own. It tastes sweet so she probably will. If not, you will need to syringe it into her crop. Like this:View attachment 2387815
I have everything I need to do this. One question: will the molasses cause issues with her sour crop (being sugary)? I just went to check in her and she's back to feeling like a water balloon. I had given her a dose of coconut oil and dulcolax over the last couple hours. I also gave her probiotics in case of sour crop.

Often a crop disorder has the yeast going on as well as impaction. We treat first for impaction, then we give the miconazole for the yeast. It's most important to open up the digestive tract with the molasses flush. It promoted diarrhea to "hose" out the system.
I tried it. Wasn't quite a blowout but she did have a few poops, watery but with some fecal matter. Her biggest one was a great big cecal poop. At least that looked normal. I assume that means something is getting through?

She's still a balloon right now. I guess we'll see how she is in the a.m. Let me know if you have any other suggestions :frow

The big cecal is indication she has cleared her obstruction. Now you can focus on the yeast infection in the crop. If you have miconazole, now is the time to start her on it twice a day for the next seven days.
I've got monistat on hand for this--I'll see if I can get her to take it in pieces. Of course she is one of the most dramatic chickens in our coop (she is quite friendly but acts like I'm trying to kill her if I attempt any manhandling--and despite being ill she is STRONG). Makes crop massages and administration of meds a rollercoaster.

Back
Top Bottom