should i use a no-crow collar on my rooster?

Puddingtheamericana

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2021
we have a tiny sebright rooster with a very noisy crow. we’re considering giving him away, although, i want to keep him. i’m considering investing in/making a no-crow collar. should i use the no-crow collar or is it inhumane? also any tips for getting the collars on a super tiny rooster?

ps, we’re currently putting him in a carrier every night in the dark shed so he doesn’t crow in the morning, so i’m hoping to find a more convenient method like the collar

we have a tiny sebright rooster with a very noisy crow. we’re considering giving him away, although, i want to keep him. i’m considering investing in/making a no-crow collar. should i use the no-crow collar or is it inhumane? also any tips for getting the collars on a super tiny rooster?

ps, we’re currently putting him in a carrier every night in the dark shed so he doesn’t crow in the morning, so i’m hoping to find a more convenient method like the collar
No-crow collars are a bit of a risk. Some people have had them work, but others it doesn't make a difference.

The issue is, a no-crow collar works by essentially 'choking' the rooster. It's very tight and presses against their throat so they can't get the actual 'crow' out. It can make it difficult to eat and drink for them as well.

Some have had their roosters choke while wearing them or just simply not be able to get enough oxygen in.

I’m currently using the no crow collars on two of my roosters. The third is getting antibiotics in pill form so he doesn’t get the collar right now. But I’m opting for the collar since roosters are legal in my village but my neighbor is being a jerk. I’m also moving in the next couple years and dont want to start all over with new roosters when I know the personalities of these ones.

My bantam silkie it has worked great on. He isn’t choking and can breathe, mate, eat and drink still. My EE however is the one I can’t figure out how to get it to work on. His feathers don’t sit right under the collar and it loosens. But if I have it too low his feathers don’t sit right on top of it and the girls pick at it. I think it takes some messing with and being patient.

This is what I did: Tighten the collar slowly. For the first day just put it on him, not too tight, and let him wear it. Take it off for the first night. The next morning put it on again. Not too tight. When he tries to back out of the collar pick him up or put a hand on him. I did this every time we tightened the collar. After two days of wearing the collar I would tighten it a little bit. I would do this until it was at the desired tightness. Which is the tip of the little finger between tthe top and bottom of the collar. If it loosened I would start all over.

Edited to say: be sure to use the right the size collar. My EE is dead because I used a collar sized too small and too tight. Don’t rush it and don’t use the collar if you don’t have to.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom