Should I use Blue-Kote for plucked out feathers?

lalyswishytail

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 13, 2009
Chicago area
I'm trying to solve a plucking problem of four against one. My SLW is getting her tail feathers plucked out by four others. There was blood. I took her inside our porch where at least she wouldn't keep getting plucked. I was told to try Blue-Kote. Can you buy that at Farm and Fleet? Also, once the stuff has been sprayed on, then what? When can I send my chicken back to the coop? Will she still get plucked?

You should be able to find the Blue Kote at any feed store. You may need to look in the horse section. i personally don't feel it is effective to keep others from pecking. i used it once on a WCB Polish who's friend kept pulling his crest feathers out. Even after a heavy application, i would go out to the pen to find the Polish more bald and the friend with a blue beak. i did subsequently buy some anti-pick spray, which is supposed to have a bitter taste, but never got a chance to use it, as i rehomed the Polish.

Had a vicious plucking problem last Spring. The Blue cote did NOT help. As Enchanted Sunrise Farms said, it just caused blue beak. Getting rid of the pickers solved the problem.

Last edited:
The blue-kote is only going to help the wounds from the plucked feathers. it's an antiseptic - good to put on to keep the plucked area cleaner - but it won't slow/stop the plucking x(

I got Blue Lotion - same "thing" ... but it comes with a dabber so it's easier to put on (I think)
http://www.ablackhorse.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3793

You'll find either in the horse/livestock section of any feed/grain/livestock store.

Good luck - why can't they all get along ! x(

Back
Top Bottom