1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I use Blue-Kote for plucked out feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lalyswishytail, Dec 28, 2009.

1. lalyswishytail

lalyswishytail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    Chicago area
    I'm trying to solve a plucking problem of four against one. My SLW is getting her tail feathers plucked out by four others. There was blood. I took her inside our porch where at least she wouldn't keep getting plucked. I was told to try Blue-Kote. Can you buy that at Farm and Fleet? Also, once the stuff has been sprayed on, then what? When can I send my chicken back to the coop? Will she still get plucked?

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    You should be able to find the Blue Kote at any feed store. You may need to look in the horse section. i personally don't feel it is effective to keep others from pecking. i used it once on a WCB Polish who's friend kept pulling his crest feathers out. Even after a heavy application, i would go out to the pen to find the Polish more bald and the friend with a blue beak. i did subsequently buy some anti-pick spray, which is supposed to have a bitter taste, but never got a chance to use it, as i rehomed the Polish.

3. aceschix

aceschix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Had a vicious plucking problem last Spring. The Blue cote did NOT help. As Enchanted Sunrise Farms said, it just caused blue beak. Getting rid of the pickers solved the problem.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  4. kimb

kimb Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    The blue-kote is only going to help the wounds from the plucked feathers. it's an antiseptic - good to put on to keep the plucked area cleaner - but it won't slow/stop the plucking x(

I got Blue Lotion - same "thing" ... but it comes with a dabber so it's easier to put on (I think)
    http://www.ablackhorse.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3793

You'll find either in the horse/livestock section of any feed/grain/livestock store.

Good luck - why can't they all get along ! x(

5. lalyswishytail

lalyswishytail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    Chicago area
    Has anyone tried Vick's? On a similar link, someone suggested that Vick's would put an end to the plucking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by