Should I warn neighbor that dog might get shot?

Pics
This shoot or don't shoot the dog discussion is pretty pointless. There is no true right or wrong and much depends on the circumstances. At the end of the day we are all going to follow our own instincts and values and whatever we are most comfortable with doing. What it really boils down to is everyone should contain their own animals, dogs and chickens alike, safely and securely on their own property so that they don't become a nuisance to others or a victim themselves. Animals don't need to free range or run loose unfenced to live a happy life, when people allow them to do so, they are just gambling with their lives.
Exactly and if it wasn’t that dog killing them all, who’s to say a coyote or hawk or something wouldn’t have come and wiped them all out too? Not saying the shooting is necessarily wrong depending on the situation but if a dog can get them so can any other predator and idk that shooting every predator after the fact is better than preventing the deaths in the first place.

This shoot or don't shoot the dog discussion is pretty pointless. There is no true right or wrong and much depends on the circumstances. At the end of the day we are all going to follow our own instincts and values and whatever we are most comfortable with doing. What it really boils down to is everyone should contain their own animals, dogs and chickens alike, safely and securely on their own property so that they don't become a nuisance to others or a victim themselves. Animals don't need to free range or run loose unfenced to live a happy life, when people allow them to do so, they are just gambling with their lives.
Absolutely agree! Well said

Two dogs came into my yard today and chased my chickens and killed one of my roosters. I kept them away with my next door neighbor with a stick and shovel. I wasn’t upset at first, but they came back and tried to get more. I think they belonged to two different neighbors because they kept driving by and one time I heard one car saying I don’t know whose brown dog that is. Then the other car kept circling the block. When the dogs came back one had bubbles all over its chin so my husband got the gun. The dogs ran away but when the neighbors drove by again I yelled, “if your dogs keep killing chickens they’re going to get shot”. I don’t want to shoot any dogs but my husband said I probably shouldn’t have told them that. I’m from a middle of nowhere small town where no one gave a warning. If there was a dog getting the chickens, it would just be a sad day for the dog. What advice or opinion do you have? I am a fairly new chicken owner.
Shoot them and keep quiet about it. They WILL be back so watch closely.

accidents happen, dogs can escape yards or get let out by mistake. It isn't always bad ownership. Regardless of the owner's negligence or absence of care, its still an animal that deserves some compassion, especially if it isnt a direct threat and just passing by.
Sigh...obviously there's a difference between letting run the neighborhood (as I posted as the example) and escaping the yard, or get let out by mistake.

Never indicated the dog didn't deserve compassion, did I?

In the area I live in ( rural Arkansas) if a dog is killing any livestock or fowl not only will the owner shoot it, if he misses the neighbors will probably help him out as the dog crosses their land.

🤔 That makes me think, what if the offender was a police dog ...normally it's a felony to harm a K-9 Officer, but what if it was killing livestock? wonder how that would play out?
Now that's a conundrum. I would think/hope that a K-9 being a very disciplined and trained dog wouldn't go after livestock. If this did ever happen I think it would cone down to whether or not the dog was on dutie. If it was then you'll probably be in some serious trouble, if not, well if you apply the 3s rule nobody is going to know anyway.

I doubt that police dog training has anything whatsoever to do with ignoring poultry! As already mentioned, high prey drive helps motivate such dogs, and they aren't meant to run loose at all.
Unless the dog handler has livestock, that dog wouldn't be familiar with such critters, and is still a dog, who's going to like chasing anything that runs, especially if it squalks at the same time.
Mary

The responsibility of protecting our chickens lies with us not the idiot down the street who couldn't care less .If we knew our chickens couldn't be replaced by placing a quick order online how many would protect them better?

Anyone who kills a dog over chickens isn't thinking. There have been neighbors who killed a person for killing their dogs. Besides that, it's your job to protect your chickens. Put them inside elecrtic netting and you won't have a problem with the dogs. Have the neighbor pay for the netting. If he won't then catch them and take them to animal control. Killing somebody's pet for doing what is totally natural is barbaric and anyone who does it will get their own punishment. Watch out though because you may come out to find your neighbor has killed every chicken you own! An eye for eye makes the whole world blind.....

Yes, people have said this.
Yeah, people casually talk about shooting dogs in just about every topic it comes up in 'Predators & Pests'. Hence the popular 3S/SSS acronym. There's been at least 3 or 4 more people come in and prove your point since this post. A bit disingenuous for anyone to pretend otherwise. This is the only part of this website where I've had to block/ignore users for incoherently raving about ways to kill animals.

My question for everyone touting this 3S nonsense, is if you clearly think you are in the moral/legal clear, then why feel the need to hide what you've done with the shovel? Because your neighbors can't be trusted with the truth? You're the only one capable of making responsible decisions? Somebody who would shoot my loose dog and not even have the common courtesy to tell me would get zero respect from me. The idea that 3S is responsible, especially if you're going to suggest it without explaining potential legal consequences. or compassionate is pretty laughable.

I live in a fairly rural spot in Wyoming where nobody talks to anybody, and everybody still knows who the neighborhood dog killer is, so unless you literally live out of sight of any/everyone then you probably aren't being as sneaky as you think. I'd bet a few of you have a reputation even if you don't realize it.

Yeah, people casually talk about shooting dogs in just about every topic it comes up in 'Predators & Pests'. Hence the popular 3S/SSS acronym. There's been at least 3 or 4 more people come in and prove your point since this post. A bit disingenuous for anyone to pretend otherwise. This is the only part of this website where I've had to block/ignore users for incoherently raving about ways to kill animals.

My question for everyone touting this 3S nonsense, is if you clearly think you are in the moral/legal clear, then why feel the need to hide what you've done with the shovel? Because your neighbors can't be trusted with the truth? You're the only one capable of making responsible decisions? Somebody who would shoot my loose dog and not even have the common courtesy to tell me would get zero respect from me. The idea that 3S is responsible, especially if you're going to suggest it without explaining potential legal consequences. or compassionate is pretty laughable.

I live in a fairly rural spot in Wyoming where nobody talks to anybody, and everybody still knows who the neighborhood dog killer is, so unless you literally live out of sight of any/everyone then you probably aren't being as sneaky as you think. I'd bet a few of you have a reputation even if you don't realize it.
What legal consequences? In just about everywhere it's 100% legal to shoot a dog that is actively killing livestock.
I'm not looking for your or anyone's respect in this matter.
As far as SSS, it's just easier. Fido's owners think a coyote must have gotten em.
If my dog got loose and was attacking and killing livestock and was killed, of course I'd be upset. Not at the owner of the livestock but at myself for not keeping my dog contained. It would be 100% my fault my dog got shot.

Back
Top Bottom